• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Neglected OAL

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
I have been loading for a little over a year now. I have been very careful or so I thought. I didnt have a dial caliper to check OAL but would bring one home from work or just run the die down to a factory round. I ordered a caliper the other day and come to find out I have been loading my bullets too short. I have been running my 9mm at 1.115. Should the .025 difference from the minimum recommended make a difference? I have a few hundred rounds loaded and I have shot several thousand like this.

You should have no issues at that setup. Are a rating deeper or trimming cases? RARELY have I trimmed a straight wall case. So as long as you aren't compressing and over charge, shoot am up without worry.

I have been loading for a little over a year now. I have been very careful or so I thought. I didnt have a dial caliper to check OAL but would bring one home from work or just run the die down to a factory round. I ordered a caliper the other day and come to find out I have been loading my bullets too short. I have been running my 9mm at 1.115. Should the .025 difference from the minimum recommended make a difference? I have a few hundred rounds loaded and I have shot several thousand like this.
I believe the minimum is 1.100
What powder and gr are u using?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

I load toward the lighter side of the powder range

That will help. A lot.

Maximum charges often give little leeway in bullet seating depth. Too easy to compress the charge and quickly exceed recommended pressures, unless specifically defined as a "compressed charge" in the reloading manual.

You should be okay but watch for signs of over pressure.

Once you find the right bullet, the right charge, the right neck tension-crimp, adjusting bullet contact to the distance to lands is a fine detail to precision ammo. There are more but these are the big ones.

Back
Top Bottom