• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New 1911 build with cool new trigger system.

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
This gun has been in process for a couple of months now. Just got home from testing it, and with consistent 10 shot groups from the Ransom Rest under 1.75". I can finally call it done!
Its a Caspian frame, STI slide and Kart barrel With an EGW angle bore bushing. Internals are a variety of Wilson, EGW, Ed Brown and others. The grip safety is a Chip McCormick.
The front strap is hand checkered at 25 lpi. I bought a blank main spring housing, and checkered it so it would match the front strap.
I did all the machine work, fitting and polishing then delivered it to Dave @DABrackett at Dave's Gunsmithing up in Cumming. For the past 3 years or so Ive done my own hot bluing, but the highly polished parts can be a challenge with my primitive setup. Dave did an outstanding job. Very nice guy and easy to deal with. I think I just stopped bluing my own guns!
I cant recommend Dave enough for your Hot bluing needs!

Probably the most unique thing about this gun is the trigger. Its an X-line trigger
http://www.xline-geppert.de/x-line trigger.htm

Its a very cool hinged trigger design that is completely adjustable from a long roll single stage to a two stage feel to a extremely light and crisp single stage. If you are familiar with the 1911 fire control group, the pictures in the link should answer a lot of questions. I have it set up like a two stage trigger. The first stage is about 2 lbs as it begins to roll the sear off the hammer hooks. then it hits the little spring loaded plunger just before release. the second stage is a crisp 1.5 lbs with VERY little movement (NRA precision Pistol requires a 3.5 lb trigger on a .45).When you are used to spending $25 for a 1911 trigger, the $140 price seems high, but when you think about it, there is a lot of design and engineering in this thing along with manufacturing costs for low volume production. I don't mind paying an innovative guy for his hard work. He includes some spare parts as well. Im still testing it and adjusting, but so far, I like it a lot.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_2_zpsunxox5ma.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_1_zpsmgkmglly.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_4_zpsxbcsth3u.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_3_zpsfrxjk4bm.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_5_zpslenc14ab.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_new_gun_6_zpsfluvwlit.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive groups. Nice job on the build. Bluing looks well done too. Just don't look at it too hard or you'll scratch it! :thumb:

Thanks,
Yeah, its already got a few small scratches. I really quit worrying about scratching these competition guns. This gun will see 3000-5000 rounds a year, depending on how much (if) I practice between matches. Ill just re finish it in a few years when I tear it down and re check accuracy, replace anything needed, etc.
I just make sure the pictures get taken in the first few months!!:thumb: Because I do like a shiny gun!

Absolutely GORGEOUS!
I really like the color on that mag catch too!
On the trigger, is there a US supplier, or did you go directly to the vendor's page?
Is the surface of the trigger as aggressive as it looks? This looks like a REALLY cool solution!

No US distributor. I did everything through email and his website. Shipping from Germany was only 6 or 7 business days.

Yes, the trigger is as aggressive as it looks, lol. I considered milling it down flat, but the pull is so light, its really not a problem. On a gun that doesn't have a minimum trigger pull for competition, if you had say a 2.5 pound pull, this trigger would probably cut it in half due to the extra leverage you get, without affecting safety of the sear/hammer engagement.

Back
Top Bottom