New Car Buying Service....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
OK.

I am a cheapskate.

The last new car I bought was nearly 15 years ago. I like driving beaters.

My wife, however-is of a different mind. As her car slowly decays into a decrepit old beater, I find myself in the unenviable position of needing to sort through the available options to locate a new red (go dawgs) Chevy Cruze 4 door for her. (Yeah, I know.... She loves UGA-and must drive a red car. It's a thing.)

I want to see what tricks y'all have found for finding the best deal. I know there are a million internet options these days, but I haven't used any.

Anyone tried the USAA car buying service? What about Sam's or Costco? Is there a way to find out the price the wholesale clubs can come up with short of actually buying a membership?

Above all, I HATE dealerships. No offense to anyone who works in the business, but I hate the places with a passion. Some people hate dentists or flying, or the thought of getting on a ship. I hate car dealerships. I'd like to find a deal online and avoid ever setting foot on a dealership beforehand.

Also-is there a way to look up dealer invoice? Is that even a real number anymore? (I remember being able to find it ages ago, but I hear the dealers have all figured out how to work that system. I am not interested in paying junk fees like destination charges or any protection package nonsense. I want a car at the best price, and no jibba-jabba.)

Thanks for the ideas!

Unless you plan to keep it 10 years or more you may want to consider buying used: The moment you drive your new car off the lot, it will depreciate by as much as 11 percent of its value.

On average, a new car will lose as much as 19 percent of its value in its first year of ownership. That means that your $20,000 new car will be worth about $16,200 after just one year. With each successive year, the rate of depreciation decreases significantly.

https://www.trustedchoice.com/insurance-articles/wheels-wings-motors/car-depreciation/

As a former salesman, I actually love throwing on a tie and turning the car purchase into an all day affair. That being said, if I had to buy a car for someone other than myself that wasn't a Land Rover, I would go to Costco. I imagine that it's similar to Carvana, at least price-wise. You get a good price already negotiated for you and it's very hassle-free.

Back
Top Bottom