• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Car Buying Service....

Carmax = the consumers high cost of "convenience"

I can tell you that most dealers are still playing the same stupid game of treating customers like sheep to fleece.

I was ready to buy a Toyota IF I got a decent deal.

I went in with comparables from other dealers, Trucar listings etc.

Sales babe priced it up with dealer maintenance package and I think $750 DOC, that is not document fee that's Dealer Overhead Cost or the salesperson's commission and their rent payment.

They went no where on the price even spoke with the manager who tried to show me some of his marketing crap. I walked and got a better deal from Carvana and a $500 discount code from a coworker!

All the dealer had to do was DEAL!

They also used to make about $1500 per unit on wholesale pieces. I mean most GMs and Used Car managers I know would like to pick up $500 per copy in wholesale. So it also shows the strength in perception. They do the whole appraisal thing in a professional manner and basically steal a trade for $1000 under what it really worth and folks go with it.
You are assuming consumers have the quintessential knowledge on the 'value' of every vehicle while completely eliminating the value of the buying experience. Carmax provides a service that is obviously wanted by a large segment of society. I sold one vehicle to Carmax. The transmission was trashed. No way I could have gotten what they gave me. I was quite happy. I'd never buy a used vehicle from them but their new car prices (at least on Toyotas) is very competitive. I currently am doing some work for a Carvana type place. Every customer I've ever talked to couldn't be happier with the process. It's WORTH something to them apparently.
I only buy new and very infrequently so I don't mind the 'dance' and having some salesman attempt to insult my intelligence but not everybody has the tolerance for that and with Carvana etc... the stereotypical car dealership world will either change or shrink. Their choice. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

I can tell you that most dealers are still playing the same stupid game of treating customers like sheep to fleece.
Dealerships are REALLY missing the mark. Drive on most lots and the flock of buzzards look up from their cell phones to see if you are a mark and swarm. It's almost comical but I can see why a large segment of society chooses not to play those games.

When I first saw how many cars were sold through Costco I was like: :jaw:

http://fortune.com/2016/10/06/costco-cars-membership-program/

Never used them or USAA but will give them serious consideration in a couple of years.

Keep us posted on which service you choose and what you thought.
I bought 1 Nissan Titan and 1 GM car, both through Costco and was the easiest car experiance I have ever done. Best price and spent no more than 15 minutes signing papers and there was no pressure for upsale of extended warranties or other BS.

I bought 1 Nissan Titan and 1 GM car, both through Costco and was the easiest car experiance I have ever done. Best price and spent no more than 15 minutes signing papers and there was no pressure for upsale of extended warranties or other BS.

How was the price vs invoice?

Were they able to find cars in other states?

How was the price vs invoice?

Were they able to find cars in other states?
When i bought the Titan, Nissan was offering 10K off sticker. The dealer gave me the 10K plus sold us the truck at dealer cost, that was 3K less than the sticker, PLUS they offered me over 1K more than anyone on my trade. PLUS Costco sent me a 500.00 Costco gift card. I condsider this a more than fair deal.

Back
Top Bottom