New Car Buying Service....

in GA you don't pay sales tax. You pay TAVT which is title and ad valorum Tax. This is set by the state on used cars and is 7% of whatever the new car is. Now with a trade they deduct the trade value shown from the sellling price or the state value and you pay the TAVT tax on the different. i.e. If you buy a $20000 car and trade a $10000 car in you'll pay tax on $10000. With no trade you would pay tax on the entire $20000. Hope that helps

You're definitely not alone in your hatred of car dealerships. Dealing with car salesmen/women just piss me off to no end. Smh....

I've gotten to know a salesman through a friend that's the service manager at a dealership. I let him know what Used vehicle I'm looking for, miles, colors and price. He calls me when one that fits the bill rolls in. I'm in and out in 15-30 minutes depending on how backed up the finance crew is.

I stopped buying new in the late 90's

I've gotten to know a salesman through a friend that's the service manager at a dealership. I let him know what Used vehicle I'm looking for, miles, colors and price. He calls me when one that fits the bill rolls in. I'm in and out in 15-30 minutes depending on how backed up the finance crew is.

I stopped buying new in the late 90's
Sounds like you got a pretty good system going for yourself. The last car we got was a 2012 Corolla S for my wife in 2013, it had 7k miles on it and we got it for about $7500 less than a new one. I really like the car, just hated the process. The last one I got for myself was a '94 Toyota tiny truck in '09, it had 94k miles. Still chuggin' along in it, got that one from a guy I went to high school with in the 70's.

in GA you don't pay sales tax. You pay TAVT which is title and ad valorum Tax. This is set by the state on used cars and is 7% of whatever the new car is. Now with a trade they deduct the trade value shown from the sellling price or the state value and you pay the TAVT tax on the different. i.e. If you buy a $20000 car and trade a $10000 car in you'll pay tax on $10000. With no trade you would pay tax on the entire $20000. Hope that helps

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Question to the car sales folks:

When is the best time to buy a new vehicle? End of summer when the new models are rolling in? End of the year when folks are broke/preoccupied with Christmas? End of the month?

I'm gonna be in the market for a new truck soon, but it'll be in the next 1-2 years. I'm flexible as far as when I buy.

Shop around via email using a newly set up Gmail account

And get a throwaway cell phone
Do NOT give a commission sales weasel your real cell number
They will be calling you for years trying to sell you a vehicle

And shop hundreds of miles away
Atlanta is THE highest priced place on the planet for new and used automobiles

We got my sons old 73 Chevy pickup in Arizona

We got my expedition in hickory NC
My brother got one of his cars in West Virginia and another in Mobile AL
His wife's vehicle was from SC

Got the wifes beetle from Texas

My coworker gets his used Toyotas from Scott Clark Toyota in NC or TN or somewhere like that

You will save many thousands by going a few hundred miles away to buy your vehicle

If you're buying a brand with their home office in Japan , buy a new one , Hondas and Toyotas don't depreciate like fords and Chevys do

If you're buying a ford or Chevy , a used one can be a real deal since the value of a ford Chevy or dodge starts dropping like a rock the day you buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shop around via email using a newly set up Gmail account

And get a throwaway cell phone
Do NOT give a commission sales weasel your real cell number
They will be calling you for years trying to sell you a vehicle

And shop hundreds of miles away
Atlanta is THE highest priced place on the planet for new and used automobiles

We got my sons old 73 Chevy pickup in Arizona

We got my expedition in hickory NC
My brother got one of his cars in West Virginia and another in Mobile AL
His wife's vehicle was from SC

Got the wifes beetle from Texas

My coworker gets his used Toyotas from Scott Clark Toyota in NC or TN or somewhere like that

You will save many thousands by going a few hundred miles away to buy your vehicle

If you're buying a brand with their home office in Japan , buy a new one , Hondas and Toyotas don't depreciate like fords and Chevys do

If you're buying a ford or Chevy , a used one can be a real deal since the value of a ford Chevy or dodge starts dropping like a rock the day you buy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the cut of your jib!

I'm all about traveling to save some bucks!

I totally agree about the phone thing. I used a google voice #-and it is awesome! Sure enough, the bastards call about 500 times the first day.

(I know everyone has to make a living and such-but the process is so incredibly irritating. I wish there were some kind of universal pricing system with no BS out-the-door prices. I hate the crazy ass invented fees and 'real' fees vs 'fake' charges and such.)

Some people enjoy the haggle. Not me.

Back
Top Bottom