• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New gun - working up a load question(s)

kud
out .010 at a time 3 per 5 is a waste to me. 3 will show you a clear winner when its right.

let me simplify it for you. have u ever seen a crappy football pass and the ball wobbles but as the pass goes dn field the spiral stabilises the ball.

i have seen a 1/4 min gun shoot worse at 1k than a gun that shoots 1/2. im not asking you,im telling you.

with all this being said, this group was shot at 961 yds with a 223. no brass prep,charge thrown off a dillion 550 with no oal work for this particular charge wt. so dont get too caught up on tee tiny holes at 100. putting the rounds on far targets and learning how to use whatever combo you have and enjoy hits is what its about. dont get caught up with alot of the hype.

Last edited:
you'll be fine with the 6.5-06. had one for years and another one in the works on a 700 action / Shilen barrel.( whenever I can get to it) ...

try the 4831sc just to see if it any better. I've had excellent luck with it on several rifles. Also H4350 has been good with heavier bullets in my 6.5. Also H1000.. ..

the Sierras are very good, but try the Berger 130 and 140 bullets

Never found the 6.5-06 to have a shorter barrel life than a normal 270 or 30-06

the 6.5s have finally found some popularity with folks it seems

Listen to Procovert he has some good points. I don't shoot bench rest so I do not Get to worked up over Seating depth as others do. Ill do a ladder test at .3 increments with one round apiece. Then I will find the node where the bullets impact at the same point, Ill take The next to highest weight to compensate for hot days and run with it. If that load groups .3 or less for my PRS rifle or .6 or less for a hunting rifle I run with it.

As far as different bullets shooting crappy short but shooting great long its very common in 300 win mags and 338 lapuas. I have seen them shoot 1 inch at 100yrds and shoot that same 1 inch group at 300. My old 338 shot .9 at 100 but it was 1/4 minute at 2100.

Update: Well the load wasn't a fluke. Loaded up 25 more of the H4831sc this time and shot 5 groups of 5. The H4831sc functioned almost exactly the same as the 4831, no noticeable difference.

Yards - Outside2Outside / Center2Center
-------------------------------------------------
100 - .567/.303
200 - .877/.613
300 - some bone head didn't use the mills and shot off paper
500 - 5 went to ring steel, 1 hit on 20" plate, 3 hits on 15" plate, 2 misses on 6"
500 - some bone head didn't have the temp right in streloc so I was holding 3.6 (if memory serves me right) when I should have been holding 2.5. So I only had two impacts at the very top of the paper instead of a group.

Couple of rookie mistakes. I'm so use to my hunting rifles being set up for point blank range that I don't think about changing anything until I'm out past 305 yards. That is my excuse I hope I don't have to use it again.

Going to try to make sense of the velocity information I gathered because my extreme spread was between like 18 and 38...nothing near what I read the real target shooters are hoping for. As of right now I can't confirm how it groups out past 200 and 200 just isn't much of a shot unless your out of breath shooting standing.

Hopefully I can update a little more later with some sanity checks for other new to longer than standard deer hunting range shooting. (not sure what to call that 200-600 yard range other than short range for a F-class shooter, long or extremely long range for a muzzle loader) I'm just going to have to not mess up and actually hit paper at the 300-500 yard spots and see how it all works together and learn what it all means. This is real fun stuff!!!

Well, you're definitely doing a whole bunch of stuff right, to get .303 CTC at 100. Congratulations. Most folks will never see that.

I wish I could get there. With 6.5x284, I struggle to stay in the .7s CTC. Norma cases, hand weighed charges, OAL fiddled with to the lands and beyond, different bullets, different charge weights. Aaarrrrgggghhhh. Very frustrating. I pitched my first barrel after 500 rounds-- when it went from .375 CTC to .8. New Shilen barrel is about the same. Some variable is uncontrolled, but I cannot identify it. And I don't think it's me or my Nightforce, or my Manners stock, but it's something.

I bought a Redding bushing FL die, but I'm grasping at straws.

Congrats again. Call it good, and write your formula down.

Bryan Litz did really well explaining the idea of bullets going to sleep at range. There is a YouTube video explaining it. If it shoots it shoots. I just did some shenanigans with seating depth and it's interesting how much .005 can open or close a group

Kudo man I'd look at your bedding very carefully./.. What action are you using?
Manners stock, bedded, but probably minimally, by Accurate Ordnance. Savage 110 action, timed and trued. Pacific Tool bolt, Shilen barrel, precision-ground recoil lug and barrel nut. Torqued light, torqued hard-- doesn't seem to make much difference.

But this is the advice I need-- I can fiddle with loads until I burn out the barrel, but maybe it is something else-- something in the gun I haven't got under control. Bedding? Headspace (it's minimal, but I did do it myself. Just a hair more than the Go gauge needs. No Go won't close of course)? Doubt it's my scope, rings, or base-- Nightforce, Nightforce, and Nightforce. Maybe I need to just take it to Accurate Ordnance and let them work on it. They did not assemble it; they just bedded it for me as I was in a rush to get on a plane. It did kill a baboon at 540, so it works. : ) But it's not nearly as accurate as I'd like it to be.

make sure you magazine is not binding on the action should be a bit loose

any commonality to the groups it's shooting.. ( VERTICAL OR HORIZONAL STRINGING).

are you using concentric gauge for your ammo.. also are you checking neck size on your cases.

what powder(s) are you running other than 4831... new barrels are always unique

Back
Top Bottom