• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Lee Progressive press coming out in April

Which press?

• Total voters
I like lee for money. It gets the job done. What kills me is the primer system. It’s just not worth it. If what u want is pistol, go Dillon square deal. Get one of those for about 300 all In. Change over kits are reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the Square Deal is that it only uses proprietary Dillon pistol dies. If you're already set with several pistol calibers of another brand, no can use! Have to sell them off and buy Dillon.

The problem with the Square Deal is that it only uses proprietary Dillon pistol dies. If you're already set with several pistol calibers of another brand, no can use! Have to sell them off and buy Dillon.

Ahhh. I did not know this. That's a game changer for me because I already have the dies I need. For pistol, I only do 9, 40, and 38/357 but id hate to have to buy them all again

Lee pressss have serious issues with their automatic primer feeding system. Fix that issue and it would be fine.

Ahhh. I did not know this. That's a game changer for me because I already have the dies I need. For pistol, I only do 9, 40, and 38/357 but id hate to have to buy them all again
If you like to tinker, I'm sure the Lee will be fine. Although you would need conversion kits/dies for the Square Deal B, you would be amazed at just how well it works. Forget all the hand priming nonsense. I did that for 25 years and once I got a Dillon 550 (and later a SDB dedicated to 9mm & .38 Spl), I've never looked back.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

If you like to tinker, I'm sure the Lee will be fine.

Ironically, that's old school thinking when it comes to Lee. The "tinkering" thing is the press designs by Richard Lee. Those designs are 25+ years old. Since John Lee has been running the company (about 10 years now), every press or press update they've come out with has been 100% rock solid.

I suspect this new press will be just as solid.

Ironically, that's old school thinking when it comes to Lee. The "tinkering" thing is the press designs by Richard Lee. Those designs are 25+ years old. Since John Lee has been running the company (about 10 years now), every press or press update they've come out with has been 100% rock solid.

I suspect this new press will be just as solid.

That's probably because the only experience I've had with Lee is from 10-15 years ago. I've been reloading for 50 years and have only been in the progressive game for 25 of those. My previous experience was in helping a couple of fellow reloaders with their Lee Pro 1000 presses, which work well enough, but seem to require a lot of tweaking to keep them functioning correctly in high volume applications.

I sincerely hope Lee's new progressive is successful. It looks like a quality piece. The reloading community certainly needs economical options.

That's probably because the only experience I've had with Lee is from 10-15 years ago. I've been reloading for 50 years and have only been in the progressive game for 25 of those. My previous experience was in helping a couple of fellow reloaders with their Lee Pro 1000 presses, which work well enough, but seem to require a lot of tweaking to keep them functioning correctly in high volume applications.

I sincerely hope Lee's new progressive is successful. It looks like a quality piece. The reloading community certainly needs economical options.

It's a really good lesson in how an earned reputation follows a product or a company for a long time. It's one of the reasons I always try to convince beginners to at least try the Lee Classic Turret (that was Lee's second new press after John Lee took over for his dad). It's so well made and versatile, yet simple enough for a beginner, but it often gets tagged with the old reputation.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Lee Pro 1000. Perfectly set up and well tuned, it can crank out ammo at a ridiculous pace. In a balky state, it's about as fun as a trip to the dentist.

Back
Top Bottom