• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New member for about a week

Joined up a week or so ago, and been overwhelmed with the marketplace; however, I've been a bit disconcerted at comments like the following:

"If new member or with to many bad reviews will probably not respond back . Sorry" Okay, bad reviews I can see, I probably wouldn't respond either, but new members ? How do new members get to be old timers that way ?? So much for that Glock . . .

And this one: "I will only sell to members of ODT with positive feedback." . . . so much for new members. Scratch that Glock, too.

Then this one: "Traders with less than +15 positive or any negative feedback are encouraged to just move along. Sorry."

What is it with those selling Glocks ?? Having said that, those with whom I have corresponded with on this site have been very polite, profession and cordial. Those folks I thank for the welcome, and I'll be glad to trade with them.
sign of the times...but most members will work with you. good communication is key. don't commit to a deal then fink.

Joined up a week or so ago, and been overwhelmed with the marketplace; however, I've been a bit disconcerted at comments like the following:

"If new member or with to many bad reviews will probably not respond back . Sorry" Okay, bad reviews I can see, I probably wouldn't respond either, but new members ? How do new members get to be old timers that way ?? So much for that Glock . . .

And this one: "I will only sell to members of ODT with positive feedback." . . . so much for new members. Scratch that Glock, too.

Then this one: "Traders with less than +15 positive or any negative feedback are encouraged to just move along. Sorry."

What is it with those selling Glocks ?? Having said that, those with whom I have corresponded with on this site have been very polite, profession and cordial. Those folks I thank for the welcome, and I'll be glad to trade with them.

Jay, is that you?

The only bad deal I've ever made here was with a brand new poster listing his first 22 rifle for sale for 350.00. I never squabbled with him about the price. We agreed where to meet (1 1/2 hours away for my drive. I called him when I was about 20 minutes away and got the bulll**** story about him being in a wreck and the police were there and he couldn't talk yada yada yada......he'd call me back when the police got through writing their report........wasted more time with the new kid on the block and tried to call him back and he was ignoring my calls.......when I got back home 1 1/2 later he already had a great feedback story from his Buddy that he sold the rifle to after we make the deal. I will not but from a newby on here unless they drive to my town. Also I put this out there too.......the younger they are the less likely they are to honor their word. Just like this new kid on the block proved.
When I was growing up, shortly after the earth cooled, I was taught that when you make a deal with someone, it's like a contract - you either honor it, or there is mutual dismissal, the operative word being mutual. I see the issue you had with the youngsters far too often.

Welcome! We have seen a rash of scammers lately and everyone is getting a little skeeved out buy enticing adds with a unreal price only to find out that it's a bogus add. It's not your fault but if you happen to send funds before you meet that would help. Just until you get your feet planted. However you might be the one getting scammed. Or you could offer to drive to them real close to there home. That would prod them into attempting making the deal. I know it's a hassle but you have to put yourself in their shoes for a minute. You might have to go the extra mile for your first couple of trades or purchases. Just to get your feet planted. Once you meet a good veteran member he will probably vouch for you.
Good luck and enjoy the site. Be careful to abide by the rules or you will find yourself setting in the clink for a couple days.
I don't mind at all driving to the seller's location. That's only proper. If they don't want to meet at their residence, there's always a Quik Trip around somewhere <g>

You’re right and that isn’t very welcoming, so apologies…by the way, welcome to the site!

My first 50 deals have been great. I’ve always met nice people, had a good chat, made good trades etc…with both newcomers and old timers.

My current listing however has been the biggest pain in the arse. First guy backed out because his son “was giving him grief” for trading (I didn’t know he was trading his son’s rifle 🤔), so he backed out the night before we had a meet scheduled. The second guy realized suddenly at 0’dark-thirty the night before the meet that this wasn’t the rifle he thought he wanted (apparently thought mine was a war relic), so he backed out. The last guy wanted to wait a whole week to meet and insisted I mark it as sold. But then he suddenly discovered he had to go to work on that Saturday and backed out (which I get happens)…but then asked that I meet him the following weekend and keep it marked sold (If it hadn’t been the “third strike” I may have). So now my rifle has been relisted so many times and come out of “TPM” status so often that it looks cancerous. I may never sell it now which makes me understand the old ODT cliché, “it’s going back in the safe”.

None of those were newcomers…they all had perfect feedback and dozens to hundreds of good reviews. So I’d almost rather deal with a FNG. One bad deal will piss you off but three back-to back-to-back will make you downright angry.

But, again…welcome to the site! There’s more good folks than bad.

Yes send a red headed 30-35 yr old paramedic.. I’ll get straightened out
This transparamedic will be with you shortly
Screenshot_20230610-130501.png

Welcome. You will quickly realize that the ones that act in these fashions are ones you don’t want to deal with anyway.
There are quite a few “OG’s” on here that will deliberately act like being on the site from the beginning makes them king. Just do deals with whoever you’d like or who is willing to deal with a noob. Most forget that they were the ones with 0 feedback.

Back
Top Bottom