• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New pistol broken and dealer is........

That's a common target for net payable to the shareholders, at least it was when I was in the business. I think most gun stores, even those in large efficient "buying groups" operate on less gross margin than most retailers. Based on wholesales prices I've seen and the retail mark-up I'd guess about 20% average depending on the product manufacturer and type of product. Some go as high as 50% GPM, but that's rare.

True, their Gross Margin (Publix at least) runs about 28% and their net margin is 2.5%. They do have much a higher cost structure than a gun store though, and a gun store doesn't have to worry about a Glock spoiling after the expiration date! I wouldn't group Grocery stores in with retail though when talking about margin.

Me either, not sure how it got brought up. Try clothing retailers. Outrageous markups. Apple store? I did some consulting for them years ago and was stunned to see their cost structure on the items offered at the retail stores.

If I buy at a rock bottom price through the innerwebs (on TODT included), I expect nothing. If I buy a NEW gun from a LGS and PAY MORE, I expect some love if a problem arises.

I don't expect a swap for a different gun and I'd rather have the factory deal with any issues on a NEW gun but I'd at least expect the LGS to cooperate, if needed, with working it out with the manufacturer.

With Ruger though, I probably wouldn't have even gone back to the store. If I'm not mistaken, they pay shipping and have a reputation for reasonable turnaround times.

Off topic, but this is why I'll never, EVER buy another Taurus product. Although they do make a few (fairly) decent models, if there's a problem, it's impossible to reach them on the phone, (over an hour on hold in my case) YOU have to pay shipping BOTH ways and they take forever (months) to get your gun back to you.

For those of you who are on the LGS's case about not wanting to do anything

This isn't like a broken saw, it's a Federally controlled item that the LGS must account for every step of the way while they're in control of it. Failure to comply with a single step could result in the revocation of their license and/or criminal prosecution. As others have pointed out, the OP would have wasted less time and reduced his aggravation if he just called Ruger Customer Support. Ruger sends a label, the OP boxes the pistol up and sends it back.

It's just that simple.

If it was a holster, or a magazine - then yes, the LGS should deal with it.

For those of you who are on the LGS's case about not wanting to do anything

This isn't like a broken saw, it's a Federally controlled item that the LGS must account for every step of the way while they're in control of it. Failure to comply with a single step could result in the revocation of their license and/or criminal prosecution. As others have pointed out, the OP would have wasted less time and reduced his aggravation if he just called Ruger Customer Support. Ruger sends a label, the OP boxes the pistol up and sends it back.

It's just that simple.

If it was a holster, or a magazine - then yes, the LGS should deal with it.

Correct. FWIW, Ruger is a little weird about their parts policy. Some parts they'll ship right out to you if you give them the S/N of the gun. Other parts are on their "restricted" parts list and they will only replace in-house once you've sent the gun back to them. If it's a part that can readily be changed out, my first recommendation would be to get on the phone with Ruger and see if the broken part is one that they'll just drop in the mail.

Correct. FWIW, Ruger is a little weird about their parts policy. Some parts they'll ship right out to you if you give them the S/N of the gun. Other parts are on their "restricted" parts list and they will only replace in-house once you've sent the gun back to them. If it's a part that can readily be changed out, my first recommendation would be to get on the phone with Ruger and see if the broken part is one that they'll just drop in the mail.

They also have some 'testing' they do before shipping parts.

I had a weak mainspring in a gun causing some problems, and they were hesitant to just send me a new one. It's an easy swap in Rugers and once I started describing how I'd fixed this same issue in a couple of Security Sixes over the years they backed off and simply put the parts in the mail. Had them in a few days.

Kel-Tec, on the other hand, will just about ship you the whole dang gun, minus the frame!

Which is good, since as a FORMER owner of Kel-Tecs, I've needed quite a few replacement parts. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom