• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New Rocket Stove Review: HOTASH

JohnS

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
Just got my hands on a new rocket stove.
This is the new HOTASH rocket stove. Designed and produced in Lawrenceville, GA hotashstove.com

< Stay tuned for burn tests and first impressions >

Looks like this assembled.

IMG_2133.png

The exploded parts view.

IMG_2134.png

All the parts fit inside for storage.

IMG_2135.png

That is really freakin sweet! Even stores compact. Very cool. How much does it weigh?

So the down side is it comes in at 3 lbs. Too heavy for ultra light back backing, but it is made of some heavy gauge stainless steel. It's not going to warp under heavy heat.
It's built like a tank, very stable for a heavy cast iron pan on top.
I'm thinking this would be great for a single burner camp stove, a throw it in your truck for a road side dinner kind of thing.

It's listed on the website for $140.
Yes, it sells for $140

This is a rocket + gasifier, meaning that the fire near the opening is pulled sideways to the up tube.
At the base of the chute, hot gas is injected and the fire is tumbled to mix and ignite again.

First burn I made some mistakes.

I picked up a bunch of branches that the wind knocked out of the trees. The pencil lead sized to little finger sized twigs burned with a lot of fire but not a lot of heat. Some of them were boiling sap, indicating they hadn't dried out yet.

This stove will burn whatever you put in it, and I kept shoving small sticks at it. After a while, I choked the air flow with hot coals.

IMG_2140.png

Second burn worked much better.

I switched to some thumb sized and larger pieces of dogwood, and used a lot less wood.
16 oz of water to rapid boil was around 12 min., Others have done it around 9 min.
A few more practice runs and I think I'll get the time down a bit.

I kept the fire smaller and closer to the opening. A large stick would ignite and start burning almost instantly.
Very few coals in the tray, and a lot more heat this time.

When you get everything in balance, the flames will come out of the feed box and get sucked right back in on the way to the pot stand.

IMG_2141.png

Flames under the pot from the gasifier affect.

IMG_2142.png

Back
Top Bottom