• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to me AR's

Not being picky here, but also trying to learn something about AR's. On the OP's pics. the Colt has 5.56 stamped on the magwell, yet the box says .223 Remington. Seems like everything I've read about AR's says that shooting 5.56 NATO in a .223 rifle can be dangerous. Am I missing something? Maybe greg vess greg vess or cmshoot cmshoot can enlighten me. Thanks.

Not being picky here, but also trying to learn something about AR's. On the OP's pics. the Colt has 5.56 stamped on the magwell, yet the box says .223 Remington. Seems like everything I've read about AR's says that shooting 5.56 NATO in a .223 rifle can be dangerous. Am I missing something? Maybe greg vess greg vess or cmshoot cmshoot can enlighten me. Thanks.

014211C8-EC59-47F8-8302-2757E73B4A6B.jpeg

Here’s what happens when you shoot 5.56 in a .223!!

What does it say on the barrel. It should have 5.56 written ( stamped ) on the barrel or .223. if it has 5.56 stamped on the barrel you can shoot either round through it. However if it's stamped .223 on the barrel then you don't want to shoot 5.56 in it because of the pressure differences. Like the previous post has shown it's not a good idea and in fact it's a big no no!

What does it say on the barrel. It should have 5.56 written ( stamped ) on the barrel or .223. if it has 5.56 stamped on the barrel you can shoot either round through it. However if it's stamped .223 on the barrel then you don't want to shoot 5.56 in it because of the pressure differences. Like the previous post has shown it's not a good idea and in fact it's a big no no!

Ok, I suck at trolling. That previous pic is of a .338 lapua mag that had a cleaning rod stuck in the barrel that the shooter forgot to remove after barrel break in.

You have higher pressures in a 5.56. Thats it.

My 6920 had .223 on the box as well. Everything else said 5.56 for some reason. It's had a steady diet of 5.56 with no ill effects. :lol:

Ok, I suck at trolling. That previous pic is of a .338 lapua mag that had a cleaning rod stuck in the barrel that the shooter forgot to remove after barrel break in.

You have higher pressures in a 5.56. Thats it.
I actually believed you bro. And I'm skeptical of everything because I post all kinds of ridiculous crap for people to gulp up. What kills me is when I post something so far out and ridiculous and people actually go for it. But you had me going. So kudos! 🤣

It doesn't matter what is stamped on the box or the receivers. It's the stamp or roll mark on the barrel that should determine what kind of ammo is used in that gun.
Just out of curiosity I looked at both and the colt has 5.56 1/9 bushy 5.56 1/7 I am holding on to both of them for a later date maybe. thanks to all for the information

Just out of curiosity I looked at both and the colt has 5.56 1/9 bushy 5.56 1/7 I am holding on to both of them for a later date maybe. thanks to all for the information
I'm sorry about your Father In Laws passing.
Are you sure you don't have those backwards? Most Colts are 1/7 and Bushy 1/9.
Either way, two good AR's to hang onto.

I'm sorry about your Father In Laws passing.
Are you sure you don't have those backwards? Most Colts are 1/7 and Bushy 1/9.
Either way, two good AR's to hang onto.
probably did reverse them. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom