• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading; Brass cleaning questions!!!

I have a large tupperware that fits over my tumbler to help control the dust and keep the noise down. It makes walnut litter usable, I have heard that dryer sheets work also

Stainless seems to be the best but requires either an outlay or money or work, both for some people.

I hate the green stuff. Seems to clump and get stuck in everything.

Very true, however try putting the liquid in for about 20 min. max and tumble will most likely stop that from happening. Then add your brass.

I have a large tupperware that fits over my tumbler to help control the dust and keep the noise down. It makes walnut litter usable, I have heard that dryer sheets work also

Stainless seems to be the best but requires either an outlay or money or work, both for some people.

I hate the green stuff. Seems to clump and get stuck in everything.

Very true, however try putting the liquid in for about 20 min. max and tumble will most likely stop that from happening. Then add your brass.

This is what I do with the green stuff, put the liquid in, give it a couple minutes and add the brass.
I don't have any problems with it and the brass looks like gold to me when it comes out.

For low cost I use Walnut, Nu-finish car wax and a used dryer sheet to keep dust down. Recently bought the harbor freight sonic cleaner which works good for cleaning but does not shine. Ran last batch of extremely tarnished range pick up 38 special brass through the sonic and then through the tumbler and for the most part it looks new. My future plans are to only tumble the most tarnished using mainly the sonic before reloading.

I used corncob media in a vibratory "tumbler" for 40 years. About a year ago I read something about wet tumbling with SS pins so I decided to try it. I bought some of the SS pins and went over to Harbor Freight and bought one of their cheapo rock tumblers. With the way I had been tumbling for years, I would leave the brass running for 24 hours sometimes. With the wet tumbling, I can let them run with the SS Pins and some dawn dish washing liquid for three hours and the brass truly looks like new.

When I first started doing wet tumbling, I used the Lemon shine stuff but I discovered that you don't need it to get the same results. With the lemishine, the brass would change color if you did not do a really good rinse in baking soda water. I now just rinse them in tap water as I take them out of the tumbler tub!!

I suggest you just try the wet tumbling!

I use this. Giant bag and arrives in two days with free shipping. Much cleaner than the Lizard Litter in my opinion.
It comes from Graingers so you can probably go buy it there if you have one close.

I add a cap ful of mineral spirits, a capful of NuFinish car polish and set a timer for six hours.

I get really shiny brass.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/499763/econoline_526020g-40_40_lbs_blast_media

Back
Top Bottom