new to reloading. need advise

Well ultimate accuracy form a 556/223 is really no more or different than any rifle cartridge.
it takes a lot, a LOT of work on the reloaders part to obtain that, First likely your ultimate round will not fit in you magazine so you have a single shot.
then you will need matched cases as to volume, you will need match projectiles (which are not good normally for hunting), you will need to weight every match projectile to get the best of the bunch, you will need special dies that can seat precisely and neck size only, oh yea your ammo will likely not fit another weapon either, then you will need a way of uniformly making each neck the same thickness, are you still reading??
measure each powder precisely for each round, then begin to work up loads with different powders until you find the best accuracy with each projectile!
OR just reload acceptable 556/223 ammo and have fun.
Hope this helps.

Yea, I have used ACC 2015, benchmark and BLC-2 powders all work well for me (50 gr - 70 grain Projectiles). same with the standard CCI small rifle primers, no problems so far.
I would be careful in the AR if using the softer primers, especially the new Winchester primers as they have a reputation for being very soft.
slam fires can occur, not so far with me and CCI primers however.

Holy crap! That waaay advanced for me lol. I think ill just stick to the basics for now lol. Ill work up the ultimate load later when i know a little ugh, alot, more about what im doing. Thank u though! I understood everything that you just said atleast im not as dumb as i thought i was lol.

I have the lyman CG its a go no go guage and it also checks the length from wat the instructions say. Its that a good one? I have cheap digital caliper aswell just to recheck incase i have to trim.

I'm new to reloading too, in fact juat got my kit for Christmas. The first rounds I loaded, I gave my wife a kiss before I went outside to shoot, and told her wait until she hears the bang and look to see if I am alive. Lol

With that said, I was the same way as you, nervous and extremely cautious. I met a guy at bass pro in the reloading isle and asked him a question, after talking for an hour the one thing that stuck was him telling me not to over thing it. Rednecks have been loafing bullets drunk and high for a long time. Lol I'm not saying to not stress it, but don't over stress it. Ive made a lot of bullets so far and every one has went bang like it was supposed to. I wouldn't stress the precision loading yet, get comfortable with it, them start working up precision loads. One thing about the AR is you can't really set your OAL to touch the lands unless you want a single shot rifle, they won't fit in the magazine. That is where most of your accuracy comes from, and what's the point of a single shot AR.

Good luck.

It sounds like you are on the right path. I agree that while it's stressful to think and caution is to be used don't over complicate it or stress out. Use brass that's all the same headstamp, load to mag length, start at the minimum charge and work up from there. Familiarize yourself with the pressure signs before you start so you know what to look for. Google Dan Newberry's OCW method. Using it has provided me with excellent loads in my rifles. Weighing brass and loading to the lands is nothing you should worry yourself with. Only thing I weigh is powder and all my rifles are fed from the magazine with excellent results. You may wanna develop one hunting load and one paper puncher just to have a cheaper load due to the cost of hunting projectiles. Or if you wanna stir up the hornets nest you can use match projectiles for hunting even tho "they aren't made to" they work fine as long as you put the bullet where it's supposed to go but that's another debate in itself. If you have the 4 die set coming you'll have the lee factory crimp die which is awesome. You won't use the neck sizing die for your AR but it comes in handy to straighten out dented case necks on new brass that you may not full length size. The hornady comparators are great for measuring your headspacing so you know you're sizing the brass enough but not too much. If you have any questions don't hesi to ask and good luck. Also if you need any powder I have several different 1 pound bottles that would be suitable for your needs if you have trouble finding any.

Well, where is the ammo report?

We are waiting......

I do 10 round each reloads, increasing the powder charge, stacks of 10, until I find the most accurate charge, then if anal enough trying to find the bullet depth that gains the most accuracy in that rifle with this load.

Thanks alot friend. I was wandering if i fire form brass to my chamber in my ar can i neck size it instead of full length sizing? Ive heard some ppl say it wont work on an ar but it will for bolt guns. Is that true or can i neck size it only as long as it has been fired thru my chamber?

Btw i have fired 5 rounds loaded with 25 grains of hodgdon h335 .400 cci primers and hornady 55 gr fmjbt. They r very hot. I do not have a chrono but i know my rifle and that had a hard thump to it. The load data was from the bottle of powder for a 55 gr fmj in .223... im going to back down the powder charge to 23.5 as per a friend from ODT suggested and give it another go. I saw no signs of high pressure on the cases but man it had a thump to it. Is that normal for this type of fast burning powder or did i over charge it?

Back
Top Bottom