new to reloading. need advise

Thanks alot friend. I was wandering if i fire form brass to my chamber in my ar can i neck size it instead of full length sizing? Ive heard some ppl say it wont work on an ar but it will for bolt guns. Is that true or can i neck size it only as long as it has been fired thru my chamber?

Set the re-sizing die all the way down then just a tad up to full length full length resize semi-auto brass, It will not be a function issue and you can use it in other rifles. Or at least it should, always exceptions

Btw i have fired 5 rounds loaded with 25 grains of hodgdon h335 .400 cci primers and hornady 55 gr fmjbt. They r very hot. I do not have a chrono but i know my rifle and that had a hard thump to it. The load data was from the bottle of powder for a 55 gr fmj in .223... im going to back down the powder charge to 23.5 as per a friend from ODT suggested and give it another go. I saw no signs of high pressure on the cases but man it had a thump to it. Is that normal for this type of fast burning powder or did i over charge it?

I stumbled around for years, looking at primers/brass for excessive pressure.

A decent chronograph takes most of the guess work out of it.

Last edited:
my wife will kick another hole in my butt if i spend anymore money on my "new found obsesion" lol. So i think a chrono will have to wait for a while lol. I will be loading so.e more rnds tomorow morning and put them down range to see what they do. Im going to be doing 5 rnds with 23.5 grains 5 with 24 gr and 5 with 24.5 grains of h335 and maybe that will give me a good base line for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom