• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New To Reloading: Press Questions

I just put together my first reloading "kit" using tools from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, etc. Based on the advice of trusted forum regulars, I decided to start slow and deliberately learn the basics. My first press is a Lee Classic Cast single-stage. Due to a lack of component availability, I've so far only been able to tumble, decap, size and trim batches of brass.. But this seems like an excellent place to start.

What caliber components you looking for?

If you plan to shoot pistol a lot, progressive is the way to go. If you want to reload mostly accurate rifle loads for target or hunting a good single stage is the ticket. I prefer RCBS or Redding dies for the most part because I shoot rifle a great deal. I don't care for any thing Lee other then their crimp dies and R. E. Lee the man. I use my Forrester Coax press for rifle and my neighbor's Dillon for Pistol and bulk AR rounds. For Hunting pistol cartridges I reload 41 magnum rounds on my Coax.

I started with a lee single stage a year ago and it has definitely helped the learning process. When you do everything one step at a time, it allows you to focus on the details of each stage and catch mistakes easier. You don't have to worry about machine setup. And now Im moving on to a lock and load ap press for .45 and 9mm, but still will do rifle on the single stage. Oh, and bullet puller,it's worth it!

starting out ........... single stage press....
It's not like you'll never use it again if you eventually get a progressive.

I still load all low volume rifle loads with my 40 year old RCBS Rockchucker

I want to ask why is it inferior.between the 2 presses .. the new model and older model. the reason I ask is .. I ended up with one it was my upgrade from a single stage.. I was just curious please any help would be great thanks

The Lee Classic is just a bit sturdier solid cast Alum, and the other Lee is hollow cast aluminum. The Lee Classic seems to Hold up a bit better under Rifle cases a bit better.

kind depends on what degree of loading you want to do .I load for accuracy and single stage presses serve me well . rock chucker style presses last for ever and are simple to use. I have an old pacific press we have been using since early 70's. dies for the most part will work on most all single stage presses just make sure they are good quality. i have rcbs,hornady,pacific,and some lee.another thing to remember is all firearms shoot different rounds better or worse.take your time do some research and with fine tunning youmake a gun that shoots good shoot great. o yea if you notice all your reloading books are listed starting min to max for a reason, SAFTEY.

I would jump right in and get the 550.

Choose a powder that will fill the case; that will help you never to double charge a load. Put a light over the press to allow you to see into the case before you install the bullet, and train yourself to look into it before you seat a bullet.

Lastly, do some reading, and ask for help.

Red Dot, Unique, and Solo100powder will fill the case, and work well in 9, 40,38's, 357 and 45 for light to medium target loads.

I had a single stage for 40 years before I got a 550 but 1006 has a good point!

Back
Top Bottom