• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading, questions about 556/223

Read a damned book, not the innernet. Too many idiots spewing "advice" on topics they've read about "online." Edited to say ALL the advice given by the members above is GOOD ADVICE!

If you read manuals, there was never a separate section for .223 Rem and 5.56 mm NATO until recently, very recently. They are the same damned cartridge!

I have fired tens of thousands of rounds of 5.56mm NATO from very expensive rifles and machine guns CLEARLY marked on the receiver ".223 Remington." I have never had, seen, witnessed, been consulted on, or even heard of a 5.56mm NATO round "Kabooming" a .223 Rem receiver/rifle. It's pure bullshyte.

With a heavier (longer ogive) bullet you may, may have earlier contact with the lands in your barrel at the chamber leade. Maybe. Will it lead to higher pressures? Maybe, slightly. Are you in danger? Hell no.

Years ago, some idiot "gun writer" didn't understand the measurement of chamber pressures in "C.U.P." or copper units of pressure and "P.S.I." or pounds per square inch and they declared, much to the delight of Billy Bob Gun Counter guys and self proclaimed "Expurts on firearms" that the 5.56mm NATO round was much more powerful than the .223 Rem.

It's the single biggest FUDD separator I've ever encountered. Anyone that tells you that it's dangerous to load to 5.56 data or shoot 5.56mm NATO rounds from a .223 Rem marked rifle is a super Fudd. I've lost my temper now so I'll go away for a bit.
I agree on case size differences. It's my understanding also that the SAAMI dimensions of the two are the same. The difference is in chamber dimensions for the 5.56 vs 223 (the 5.56 chamber has a different and slightly longer lede area for expansion). Also, the cases on the 5.56 are annealed at the neck to make them softer for case expansion with the higher pressures. I've never shot a 5.56 in my 223 Colt SP1. It probably could take it - I just have enough 223s to use up :0)

Here is a concise treatment of the topic, about the most reasonable one I've read. So many opinions, so much Fuddlore.....

My advice to op is get 100 pieces of lapua brass load and shoot in your rifle and you should have your rifles headspace after firing once. Set your die to resize only pushing the shoulder no more than .004 if self loading or .002 if a bolt gun. Check trim length and should bump every time you load.

From what I read you're supposed to separate the brass into two different piles the 223 and a different for 5.56. the external differences are almost the same but the internal space is different. The brass the base of the cartridge is a little thicker so there's actually less area inside a 5.56 cartridge so you need to load those a certain percentage less than the 223 brass. The pressure spikes can be different from 5.56 to .223.. That's what a couple of my reloading manuals suggested.

Second get yourself one of these and a good case prep station. Frankfort Arsenal makes a good prep station that trims the brass and has all the chamfering tools and stuff wanted as well. My recent little three station prep machine ( the red one in the pics) broke one of the accessory drives so I'm going to need a new one I think the Frankford Arsenal with the case trimmer is going to be the ticket. The Frankford Arsenal one is expensive but man it really saves you a lot of time. I don't use a multi turret station I just do individual cartridge at a time all by hand. This priming tool in the pic is definitely a must have and your hands will think you loads after priming a bunch of cartridges. Of course you've got to use the proper shell holder but then you'll want two of those little triangular things one for small primers and one for large primers and then it has two inserts for primer size. But this thing was a godsend. I mounted mine on this little piece of board so I can put it up after I'm done using it or take it in and watch TV when I'm using it.

Plus this tool from Frankford Arsenal would save you a bunch of time as well and is extremely convenient. Case prep and priming is pretty much where all your time will be spent so upgrading your equipment there will be great improvement. I was using one of these little Hornady three station prep jobs but it lasted a while but it's just not the best. Nowhere near built like the Frankfurt Arsenal and it doesn't have a case trimmer. You could tell it was laboring when it was doing the job so it was time for an upgrade anyway. These three little devices will save you gobs of time and heaps of energy.
IMG_20231005_084125507.jpg

IMG_20231005_082202887.jpg

Back
Top Bottom