• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading, questions about 556/223

BHPSteel BHPSteel beat me to it.

This another nugget of Fuddlore. The specifications for cartridge brass for 5.56mm and .223 Rem are the same. There may be, MAY be very slight almost immeasurable variations in mass produced brass among multiple manufacturers, but you'd have a hard time measuring them.

If you sort your brass by headstamp, do it for continuity and consistency in case volume, not because you think one is thicker than the other due to "higher pressures."
I haven't been doing it. I just heard several people suggest and I read it in a couple of manuals. However I've just been loading the same amount regardless. Since I'm mainly reloading for just bulk ammo and not being real precise for accuracy ( but better consistency than shelf ) most of what I'm loading now I just haven't bothered with it.

Shouldn't be a felt variation on that operation.

Making the assumption that all rounds were fired from the same chamber, you'd rarely have one more difficult to bring down to the bottom of the press stroke than another. Are you using Small Base (SB) dies?

I would expect this hassle if you are varying the amount of case lube on one vs. another in the resizing operation.
I'd say about 75% of the brass I have had been shot from my rifle. I've been picking up range brass when I go to sight in my rifle or practice.

As for lube I'm using the Hornady spray can lube, not exactly consistent though

That variation is due to the fact that fired brass will have expanded to fit whatever the dimensions are of the chamber of the guns being fired, so there's going to be some real variation in resistance when you do that first resize.

What kind of dies are you using? Full length, small base, collet?

I'd say about 75% of the brass I have had been shot from my rifle. I've been picking up range brass when I go to sight in my rifle or practice.

As for lube I'm using the Hornady spray can lube, not exactly consistent though
Like some other old timers around here, I use a paste lube (Unique by Hornady) on my fingers as I handle the brass into the shell holder. I get consistent application and haven't had a problem with excess lube in the dies.

That variation is due to the fact that fired brass will have expanded to fit whatever the dimensions are of the chamber of the guns being fired, so there's going to be some real variation in resistance when you do that first reload.

What kind of dies are you using? Full length, small base, collet?
This is 100% true. Range pickup will have variable ODs depending upon the chamber fired in so some may feel "sticky" in the dies and others do not.

This is a good read. It basically says there's a +1.1% difference in case capacity of the 5.56 and .223. so this backs up palmettomoon's statement. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between the internal dimensions but I have never worried with it. To me it's just too much to worry with for what little bit of difference there is.

Back
Top Bottom