• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New to reloading, questions about 556/223

Well, it's the 'boring' part of the process. A lot of time and energy seems to go into talking about powder loads.
To me this is the most aggravating part of the deal there. I've recently ran out of IMR 8208 XBR for my 6.8spcll. I'm having a really hard time finding a powder that's even remotely as accurate as it. Last time I went out and tried some Alliance A2200 and it was all over the place and it seems to be a really popular powder in the 6.8 SPC forums and from some guys on here as well. But it looked like I shot the target with buckshot it was so erratic. Of course everybody's gun is different because of barrel variations but it can be a really frustrating part of reloading.

If you are reloading spent brass from a known platform and returning it to service for the same known platform I’m a big fan of collet neck sizing. Saves brass and saves press time for me along with producing great accuracy.

Not sure why you'd get some hate for that statement, seems pretty accurate to me. Frankly it's why I've been trying to pay such close attention to all the steps along the way. I want it done right and safely, I don't much care how long it takes tbh
I was under the impression that the neck get sized as well with the full length die. Of course I'm no guru reloader but it only seems like it would be obvious.

If you are reloading spent brass from a known platform and returning it to service for the same known platform I’m a big fan of collet neck sizing. Saves brass and saves press time for me along with producing great accuracy.

That's the approach I've decided to take with my milsurp rifles. I only have one gun in each of 4 calibers, so provided I'm diligent in picking up my own brass, I should be GTG. I'm currently getting ready to experiment with neck crimping on these calibers too, so expect another "Dummy Alert" thread from me in the channel.

Lots of sizer dies for different applications. 99% of what you will need to do in a 223/556 will be done with a full length sizer or neck/collet neck sizer or small base.

Full length for gas or bolt guns

Neck sizer for bolt/single shot where accuracy is paramount over function.

Small base for 249 brass and that still might not save it.

Also, whilst on the topic. Most nato brass is gonna have a crimped primer. Make sure you have a primer pocket reamer or swage. In a pinch a razor blade will work but I don't recommend it as a long term solution. It's a bad feeling when you take all this time getting the brass where you want it and you can't prime it.

Lots of sizer dies for different applications. 99% of what you will need to do in a 223/556 will be done with a full length sizer or neck/collet neck sizer or small base.

Full length for gas or bolt guns

Neck sizer for bolt/single shot where accuracy is paramount over function.

Small base for 249 brass and that still might not save it.

Also, whilst on the topic. Most nato brass is gonna have a crimped primer. Make sure you have a primer pocket reamer or swage. In a pinch a razor blade will work but I don't recommend it as a long term solution. It's a bad feeling when you take all this time getting the brass where you want it and you can't prime it.
I do actually have one of those already, an for rifle mine is a gas fed semi. S&W sport 2

Back
Top Bottom