• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

New to Reloading

CTarpley

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
45   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started to reload (literally loaded my first 50 rounds in the last few days). I have had the equipment for a while tinkering and learning. I wanted to ask some pros how long it took you to have some trust in your powder measure, or I guess how long did it take you to feel confident in your skills? I have an old Lyman 55 measure that I cleaned up and started to work with. After getting it set for my load, I have been verifying almost every other round with my scale. They all seem within a tenth of a grain to my goal, however I am still freaking out that I may over/under charge a case. Any suggestions? I am using Accurate #5 powder and loading 45acp.

Thanks ODT!

Being nervous about your powder load is a good problem to have. I've been reloading for 50 years and I still weigh probably every 10th round.

the trick to having your powder measure work well is how consitantly you operate it from round to round.

that consistency applies to all phases of reloading. BTW

the old Lyman unit is a good solid tool. one trick to using it is the little flip up leaver that taps the measue to insure consitant loads.. tap it the same way each time. I used to flip it up twice for each load.

the trick to having your powder measure work well is how consitantly you operate it from round to round.

that consistency applies to all phases of reloading. BTW

the old Lyman unit is a good solid tool. one trick to using it is the little flip up leaver that taps the measue to insure consitant loads.. tap it the same way each time. I used to flip it up twice for each load.
The consistently repeated movement and speed of the movement of the measure is the key. As jglenn and GUN GURU said do the same thing as close to the same every time and check often. I too have loaded 1,000's upon 1,000's of rounds and consistent repetition is what it takes. And it
is worth it for many reasons.

The consistently repeated movement and speed of the movement of the measure is the key. As jglenn and GUN GURU said do the same thing as close to the same every time and check often. I too have loaded 1,000's upon 1,000's of rounds and consistent repetition is what it takes. And it
is worth it for many reasons.

I appreciate the replies and advise guys! Hoping to get the hang of this soon. I think I will enjoy this hobby for many years.

To add to the already good info given!
You will find that the type of powder used will make a lot of difference in the accuracy of the powder measure as well. Accurate 2-5-7-9 all feed well through my powder measures as they are fine grained and ball shaped flakes.
additionally Accurate# 5 is a fairly bulky powder and fills the case pretty well, while you may be a few grains high or low (which should be corrected) it is almost impossible to double charge a case with it as it will simply spill out the top.
OF course I always visually check every case before seating projectile but a bulkier powder is usually an easier powder to work with.
I use Accurate #5 in 38 super, 10 MM and 45 acp have have very good results with it in all these calibers.

Glad to help. I am sure you'll get it and enjoy it. It is fun , allows you to shoot more for the money and it is gratifying to see great results at the range and in the field.

many good comments. The only other comments I have: if you are doing loading with a single stage press get a loading block that holds 60 or 70 shells. as you go thru each stage it's easy to confirm that everything is the same. for example as you go thru and drop the powder into each case, I usually measure the first two or three to confirm the grains, then maybe one in the middle and one at the end of the loads. Use a good light/flashlight to look into the shells to confirm that each case is basically the same. it should be easy to spot one that's double charged or missing a charge at this point. same with when you seat the bullets. look across the top to confirm that they are all roughly the same overall length. same for primers (make sure they are not sticking up).

consistency is what gets you good ammo.

Thought I'd throw my 2cents in the mix
What everybody has said so far is good info.
This how I go about it....
Typically I'm loading either 50, or 100 at a time.
First get the brass in loading blocks...mine all hold 50, except for my bench rest stuff.
Then, if you want to, and you should, make sure all brass is similar, in manufacture, each is different, and will give you slightly different results.
Then check for case length, trim if needed....this is getting too long....BUT
Then, if your inclined, you can uniform the primer pockets and flash holes.......just depends what kind of accuracy you are looking for.
I still hand seat each primer, and set them to be flush with the bottom of the case....I rub my finger across the case, as I remove it from the primer tool(Lee)...if I'm not sure, I simply place the primed case on my bench to see if it wobbles.
As stated above, I charge all my brass at one time, then check for inconsistency's. I typically hit the little knocker once at each end of the stroke, doing it consistently each time.
The info about bulkier power is a good idea, I had not thought of that.....hard to over load that.
I always have a few extra pieces of brass in case of screw ups.
Seating the bullet, I start with the die set out, and work it in the depth I want, then set it and go.
Good luck, it's something that should give you years of enjoyment.
:-)Rocky

Back
Top Bottom