• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Newbie 308 reloading question

Any particular reason for "the heaviest bullet" ?
I'd start low, test several weights and work my way up and see what shoots best.
I have quite a few .30 cal rifles with 1-10 twist that love 165-168gr bullets.
I'd keep my brass separated between the two rifles and work up a load for the Savage using fired formed brass and a collet die from a Lee deluxe die set. I'd probably start by trying a couple of 165-168s and either Varget or RL 15 along with a couple of different primers (CCIbr2, Win LR and Fed 210M) and run a couple of ladder tests.

You might want to start with the Mega by checking what the COAL to the lands would be and see if it's chamber and throat are shorter or longer than mag length and load to whichever is shorter.
Of course if you go with SAAMI spec of 2.810 max COAL you should be OK as long as the brass is sized properly other than that trial and error will let you know what she really likes.
Anything with a shell deflector such as a .308 AR will probably be a brass mangler anyway. I'd fire a box of factory stuff and find out before buying some $$$ brass and finding out the hard way. Yeah the dies will get out most of the dented shoulders during full length resizing but what a PITA and waste of brass life.
Yeah maybe they'll like the same bullet maybe not.
For me, handloading is about finding the optimum combo for each rifle.
Good luck

I too agree with BHJ but wouldn't go much over 175 if the Savage is a 1:12. Again try the 165-168gr stuff and work up. I have found in my experience that you never know what the rifle might like best until you feed it a range of stuff. Also totally agree with keeping the brass separate and neck sizing for the Savage if your after accuracy. My 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom