• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

No Scammers

A couple of weeks ago a guy asked me a question on one of my adds. He did not use the private message system. I answered his question and left my phone number, I never heard from him again. Someone searching through the adds came across his question and private messaged him asking if he was still interested. The scammer even left him his phone number (I was out of the loop at this point). The scammer sent him payment info, the buyer sent him money through one of the payment things and never received anything. A week or so later I got a threatening message calling me every kind of crook and what would happen if we ever met. Also he gave me a negative. I got back to him asking him to call me and try to get to the bottom of this. He called and we were able to straighten everything out, he was still out $50, he also removed the neg. I will only do business with someone if we speak on the phone and I'm only using the private message.

Recent Scam Attempt:

New user posted a shotgun for sale - out of my range for driving, I offered to pay for shipping. He agreed and took my phone call so all seemed pretty legit. He had zero feedback, so I told him ship it to my FFL and once received I will send the funds... he agreed and was going to use a local "FFL" to ship. Give him my email and FFL sends me an email with a copy of their FFL, all seems legit. He changes tones and wants me to forward my Funds to the FFL dealer as an escrow account and once the firearm is received in my possession they'll release the funds. I refuse and he ghost me........ here is what's interesting.

I dig into the copy of the FFL - It's a real FFL number but has been photoshopped to show a different name than the real FFL business. He also has created a Google Business Page showing the "local FFL gun shop" he is going to use for shipping/escrow. The google maps address is correct, but the street view has been altered and shows a fake gun store. If you used any other browser except for google it showed a rural home (which is correct).... this was done 10 months ago! No telling how long he has been scamming. Also appears under his images posted on google he has created multiple gun stores around the country to scam people.

This guy was not your normal scammer

The best way to find out if it's a scam call their bluff. Tell them you have the money you'll pay full price and you'll come meet them right now even if they say they're in Alabama tell them you can get in the car and drive there immediately or set a date. If they clam up and don't say another word after that you know it's a scam. That's what happened to me when I found a great deal I told him I'd give him what he wanted and even drive out to meet him and pay face to face. Never heard another word from him.

I report these assholes if I see them.

I just reported three accounts. They all used the same phone number. That same phone number was being used all over the internet on scam gun ads. Maybe you can automagically search phone number to alert for fraud? Most of the scam ads I report list a phone number or email for contact. This one is 213-443-8965

It would be interesting to know the "characteristics" of a scammer

1. Always a newbie?
  2. Always no face to face deal?
  3. Supporter or freebie?
  4. Any feedback or always zero?
  5. Responding to a listing, created a listing or out of the blue DM?

I am sure there are more possible warning signs one might look for.
I reported a couple profiles that were a couple months old, had a couple “gone” ads each, and had feedback. However, the feedback was to each other. The ads they posted were obvious scams (old gun broker ads). Was a pretty crafty little ****sucker trying to blend in!

I love the meet in person transactions. If they were all in person transactions, there wouldn’t be many scammers left on this side of the grass.

Most of the scammers I have seen and reported were out of state. Makes sense. They want to “ship you their firearm” after you pay them in ITunes gift cards.

A good deal (like a laughable good deal) is an easy giveaway as well. They’re trying to bait a sucker in with a good deal.

Back
Top Bottom