Non-Magnum Hunters

Anschutz

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
7   0
Reaction score
My personal favorites for deer hunting are the .243 Winchester and .270 Winchester mainly because that is all I have for now, but every time I see a new hunter posting up that they got some new .400 Wizzbang Magnum I cringe a little because even though I'm not recoil shy I don't care for unnecessary recoil when I'm shooting a 120 pound deer down here. I'm waiting to get home next week to buy a new rifle and I'm looking at probably a .243, .25-06, or .30-30 and was wondering how many other people prefer using lower powered though more than adequate cartridges.

My go to rifle is a 257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Low recoil and flat shooting. I have one magnum and have had several. My main reason for them was when I was hunting south Ga. And my shots would average 250-300 yards. For that I just wanted something a little more flat shooting with heavy knock down power.

I have three rifles that I use for deer hunting. Each has it's place and use:

- My Ruger M77 ultralight in .308 Winchester is my general, all around rifle. Light weight, quick handling and capable of taking out about anything on the North American continent!

- My Savage Model 116 in 7mm Remington Magnum fills two purposes. #1 It works great for long shots when hunting clear cuts :laser: and #2 it is stainless with a composite stock, so I carry it when the weather sucks :rain: (I hate getting a good blued/wood stocked rifle wet!)

- My Smith & Wesson M&P15 .300 AAC Blackout is great for close in/thick cover. It's short, light and fast handling. In addition, it proves Bill Clinton wrong that..... "There is no sporting user for an AR"!! It's also hell on zombies!!:evil:

I use a .270 winchester. Most people don't know this but it is considered a Magnum cartridge.

Where do you get this? I've never heard it considered a magnum cartridge. Being it's based on a 30'06 case, which isn't magnum either, it's odd to think of it as a magnum.

Generally speaking, magnums have specific attributes, like the 7mm, 300 and 338 with the belted case.

Back
Top Bottom