• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Noob question about suppressors!

codep

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
30   0
Reaction score
I guess I will have 2 questions for those that already run with suppressors first one being in you opinion what is the best one out there and why? and since I am not very knowledgeable about them yet if I get a suppressor that works for my 6.8 spc it will cover my 308 along with 5.56 correct?
Thanks for any info!

It really depends on what you're intended use is. A .308 silencer will allow you to shoot all the calibers you listed above. Do you want a quick attach where you can put the silencer on multiple guns? If so take a look at the AAC 762-SDN-6 it's shorter than other silencers and meters well. You also have the SWR Specwar 7.62 it's heavier and longer but meters better than the AAC. A less expensive option is a YHM Phanton 7.62 but it's pretty heavy. I personally think it’s better to stick with major manufacturers and avoid the smaller companies. A silencer is a life long investment and if damage occurs in say 15 years is Joe Bob silencer company going to be around? AAC, SWR, SilencerCo most likely will be.

6.8 will not work with .308 due to bore differences. .308 is 7.62 so it's too big of a bullet for 6.8 to pass through. Now a .308 will work for all of the above, and sound good too, the expense is it is heavier than a dedicated 6.8 or 5.56 suppressor. I would personally go with a .308 can that will do everything. ugagrad04 has a good suggestion with the SDN-6. It would cover all your needs.

generally speaking, there aren't 6.8spc suppressors. For rifles there are 5.56, 308, and then big bore magnum stuff(338LM, 50bmg, 45-70).

The 308 can fire the 6.8 and 5,56 as well uif you are going for versatility.

There are a bunch of options for 30 cal cans.
YHM Phantom- Decent can the stainless is heavy, but the titanium offering is light
SWR Specwar- medium weight, great suppression,
AAC SDN-6- really more of a 300BLK can so it is shorter than most 308 cans and has less suppression on a 308 than most compeitors, but it is shorter and lighter than its competitors.
Hunter Town Arms Kestrel- Heavy, Heavy, Heavy, but it is super cheap, meters okay, and its user serviceable if you use cast bullets or shoot 22 through it.
Thompson Machine 30- ????????? I don't know much about there stuff.

Lax that is some good info there thank you for the input, I was leaning towards the AAC guys but I will look into the SWR for sure now. I think I will stick to my 5.56, 6.8 and 308..I will leave the Thompson Machine 30 unsuppressed :)

Lax that is some good info there thank you for the input, I was leaning towards the AAC guys but I will look into the SWR for sure now. I think I will stick to my 5.56, 6.8 and 308..I will leave the Thompson Machine 30 unsuppressed :)

the specwar 7.62's are hard as hell to find right now. Give memebers like ClassicCityFirearms and QuietRiotFirearms a call for a great price on a can though.

If you want some real high end stuff the Liberty cans are great and the member CAW30 sells alot of them.

The TM30 is a suppressor made by Thompson machine
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=2

Also check out NFAtalk.org and register to see all their research data on silencers comparing the decibles on each.

Ok so will shooting the 5.56 and 6.8 thru the 308 can make the life of the suppressor decrease at all due to different ammo speeds (faster loads etc.) or will the can hold up just fine with the versatility of various calibers? Keep it coming Lax, Zombie and Ug you are quickly educating me along with what I am reading up on I may be diving off to the quieter world sooner that later now. Thanks

the specwar 7.62's are hard as hell to find right now. Give memebers like ClassicCityFirearms and QuietRiotFirearms a call for a great price on a can though.

If you want some real high end stuff the Liberty cans are great and the member CAW30 sells alot of them.

The TM30 is a suppressor made by Thompson machine
http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=2

Also check out NFAtalk.org and register to see all their research data on silencers comparing the decibles on each.

Wow that is alot better pricing than I would have imagined!

Ok so will shooting the 5.56 and 6.8 thru the 308 can make the life of the suppressor decrease at all due to different ammo speeds (faster loads etc.) or will the can hold up just fine with the versatility of various calibers? Keep it coming Lax, Zombie and Ug you are quickly educating me along with what I am reading up on I may be diving off to the quieter world sooner that later now. Thanks

no if it can take the pressures of the 308 the 5.56 wont cut down on its life. It's not so much about speed but pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that is alot better pricing than I would have imagined!

seriously if you want cheap call CCF and ask aobut his price on the Hunter Town Arms 7.62 can. I think it was under 5 hundred, but don't quote me

Do it man! Haha you will love the class 3 world. Stamp collecting is a hobby. As far as erosion, the main culprit are SBR's (short barrel rifles), specifically 5.56 barrels less than 16". But the good news is it's actually better to use a .308 can on short 5.56 barrels (compared to a 5.56 can) because of the greater clearance between bullet and baffle, the majority of the erosion is caused by unburnt powder that essentially sandblasts the baffles, and this powder sticks close to the bullet, so if you have greater distance between them it will be better for your can. But this is really only something to worry about if you are shooting a lot of rounds in a short amount of time through a short barrel.

Back
Top Bottom