• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Northern Zone baiting is on the table in both houses for The Northern Zone

My first buck was 1970. Levis,3 shirts, jacket, long johns, 2x4 0n a limb 30 feet up a white oak, old Marlin .32 Win. Special with a "fixed" broken stock, and iron sights. 100 yard shot. Paulding county. Good ol` days.
Aha, Bartow County for me.

No a week ago Trump was slightly less of gun grabbing lunatic. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Always fun...

Here's the problem with hunters.... you generally go two paths.... you either become a shooter, or a steward. Stewards shoot but shooters don't steward. There are absolutely ZERO biological or other benefits to placing feed out for deer. That by itself is a neutral issue but there are several biological and sociological reason to NOT do it. There has never once been a deer starve to death in Georgia and you do far more harm than good by feeding them that cheap moldy toxin filled garbage (you'll note by the way "not for human consumption) that is sold as feed corn for deer. CWD is coming... I guess we just go ahead and step on the accelerator. If you think you "need" corn to shoot a deer in Georgia... you're doing it wrong, way, way WAY wrong.

Manipulate native browse if you want to feel like you are "doing something". Heck plant a plot or three, that is there 24 hours, is toxin free, and benefits several species without concentrating them in 100 sq foot circle sharing communicable diseases.

I knew it was coming when the sniveling liberal hunters starting crying that is was "for the kids" years ago and the southern zone passed it. Here's a clue, when someone says... "it's for the kids" it's NEVER "for the kids". So it will pass the Senate and we'll get to enjoy all the problems other states have 'enjoyed' courtesy of baiting.

Georgia sells MORE OUT OF STATE LICENSES THAN ANY OTHER STATE... so yeah... we obviously need to 'improve' it. :rolleyes:

I can't effect it and grown men have made their decision to shoot deer over a pile of corn and call it hunting. What can you do?

Nothing. My little place will stay free of it and I'll continue to take my son (and like minded friends) and encourage him and teach him about fair chase and being a steward of God's creation and that shooting/killing is the smallest part of 'hunting'. I'm fairly certain we won't starve to death either. YMMV
I'll be happy if this bill does not pass. However, supplemental feeding of the right foods has been proven to greatly improve the overall health of the herd and improves antler growth. It's just like everything else. Garbage in, garbage out. Make high quality food available year round as a supplement to natural food sources and it works.

Supplemental feeding will not bring CWD to Georgia, but if it ever gets here it will help spread it. That's when all supplemental feeding should be made illegal.

One of the issues if baiting is made legal is competition from other hunters in the area. If they bait and you don't, it's a good likelihood the deer on your property will be sucked right off of it. A deer can and will change it's core area to accommodate available food sources. The only way to counteract it without baiting is to get some very very good food plots in and maintain the hell out of them. But honestly, aren't food plots a form of baiting, too?

I'll be happy if this bill does not pass. However, supplemental feeding of the right foods has been proven to greatly improve the overall health of the herd and improves antler growth. It's just like everything else. Garbage in, garbage out. Make high quality food available year round as a supplement to natural food sources and it works.

Supplemental feeding will not bring CWD to Georgia, but if it ever gets here it will help spread it. That's when all supplemental feeding should be made illegal.

One of the issues if baiting is made legal is competition from other hunters in the area. If they bait and you don't, it's a good likelihood the deer on your property will be sucked right off of it. A deer can and will change it's core area to accommodate available food sources. The only way to counteract it without baiting is to get some very very good food plots in and maintain the hell out of them. But honestly, aren't food plots a form of baiting, too?
I thought this too. If you dump a pile on the ground I can see how it would mildew and get nasty. A timed spin feeder only puts out enough for a snack. The high protein feed can benefit the health of the herd if it is dispensed in that manner too.

I thought this too. If you dump a pile on the ground I can see how it would mildew and get nasty. A timed spin feeder only puts out enough for a snack. The high protein feed can benefit the health of the herd if it is dispensed in that manner too.
Simple tube feeders work, also. If they are built correctly they keep all the food dry other than a small amount that becomes available on the ground as the deer eat it. Each time you refill the tube, remove any old feed on the ground that has been missed by the deer.

Is it more ethical to go into a pine thicket and clean out a spot, plant some collard greens, and hunt over that .....or scatter some corn on the ground and hunt over that....

CWD in Mississippi headed east.Coyotes brought in from Texas,Pigs taking over when folks moved em to new locales,the amount of hunters dropping every year,lease prices going sky high and its all gonna end.
YES AND GA DNR AND OTHER STATES HELP WITH THE COYOTOE PROBLEM WITH ALLOWING FOLKS TO SELL LIVE YOTES TO THESE FOX RUNNING PENS IN OUR STATE BUT SOME FOLKS LIKE TO SAY IT NATURAL MIGRATON YEAH RIDING IN A CAGE IN BACK OF A TRUCK
To each his own I guess. I have taken some nice deer the last 30 years without bait. I have hunted sign, wind, funnels, scrapes, rubs, thickets, ones, hardwoods, natural food sources...etc. That's how I learned, never had food lots or atvs, most times the walk took 30 minutes to an hour. I have also taken deer that had major ground shrinkage early in my career because there was not a lot of inspection I could do before they are gone. On the other hand I have let bigger ones than I have mounted walk because I could not get a clear view of the deer. When I did they were gone. I know how to hunt and I have taught both boys what I know . I saw one benefit of baiting and or lush green food plots and it was simply the fact that you could observe, make a judgment, and if you see one shootable they are at ease. That clubs harvest records are the same as they were before they were baiting. Just my observation. Btw I hunt va.every fall....they don't even allow Doe pee, no attractants...period. No baiting, game wardens checking hunters often. This pic is from this fall in va. If "hunters" optto do what is legal I have no issue with that.View attachment 1535496
YES I READ REFRENCE THE DOE PEE WAS A CHANCE TRANSMITTING CWD SINCE THE PEE WAS COLLECTED FROM PEN REARED DEER IN OUR MOBLIE SOCEITY DISEASE CAN TRAVEL FAST

Making baiting illegal AFTER CWD is here is the same logic as ceasing unprotected sex after you've contracted AIDS. It's a little late then .
I'm on a phone so not going to type a dissertation but the research is there for those without a predilection to justify their existing desires (not saying you Bear, general statement).

I hope it passes for 1 reason. So the DNR can find something more useful to do with their time. It has always perplexed me as to the amount of time energy and effort they will put into trying to bust a guy hunting near an old molded kernel of corn.

I hope it passes for 1 reason. So the DNR can find something more useful to do with their time. It has always perplexed me as to the amount of time energy and effort they will put into trying to bust a guy hunting near an old molded kernel of corn.
Most field agents I've spoken with share your opinion. They've signed up to protect the resource however.

Back
Top Bottom