• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nosler Ballistic Tip Expansion Issue

What's the problem?

• Total voters
I wonder if Nosler publishes effective velocities for their bullets. Seems like they would.

OPTIMUM PERFORMANCE VELOCITY:
Minimum: 1800 fps (549 mps)
Maximum: 3200 fps (975 mps)

You are likely at or under the min recommended velocity for that round.

Speed it up.

150g may be a little too heavy for that cartridge in such a short barrel and is way heavy for deer sized game. I'd drop down to the 120g or 140g nosler ballistic tip so you can get better velocity and energy. If you had a 22" barrel, you could probably get by with the 150s, but the 140s would still perform better at 7x57 velocities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shot 2 deer with nosler BT handloads this past season 1 deer I watched run and fall dead if I hadn't been a able to see it run and crash it wouldn't have been a good chance of recovery. Zero blood other than when it fell and was shaking around. Second deer dropped in his tracks and blood everywhere, first deer had no exit and ruined all the meat in the shoulder, second deer it mushroomed nicely and exited. Both were moving 2800 fps, 57.3 grains of winchester 760. First deer was roughly 75 yards out and the second was about 150 yards. I believe range of shot has a decent bit of impact on the performance nosler ballistic tips. I've loaded up some hornady SST and ELD-X to use next year, on paper they hold a group better, anxious to see how they perform in the woods.

Back
Top Bottom