• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Not your everyday (crockpot) beenie weenies

fast306stang

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
376   0
Reaction score
I took this recipe and modified it a little bit...

• 6 bacon strips, diced
  • 1/2 pound smoked Polish sausage or kielbasa
  • 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 2 medium unpeeled red apples, cubed
  1. In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Add sausage to drippings; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the beans, tomatoes, red peppers, onion, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, salt and mustard. Stir in the bacon and sausage. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir in apples. Cover and cook 2 hours longer or until bubbly.
My changes:

6 strips of bacon? I chopped up a whole pack. By the way, I bought the cheaper bacon and found out when I got home that it was only 12 ounces. Grrr!

1/2 pound of sausage??? I used a whole pack which is a pound. I may use more next time.

I used 2 different types of kidney beans. One was seasoned and the other plain.

Apples? We don't need no stinkin apples!

I didn't have any ground mustard so a couple of spoonfuls of good spicy mustard went in.

I also sweated my onions and red peppers a bit. The original recipe doesn't say to do that so I think you're supposed to just chop them and put them in the crock pot. Well unless my raw veggies are going in a salad, they get sweated or sauteéd. Haha!

Pro tip: The crockpot will not heat up unless plugged in the outlet. I put all the liquids, seasonings and tomatoes/beans in there to start heating through while I cooked the veggies and meats. Well...

However I took a sample while it was all still cold before I put the lid on and it was already great. Can't wait.

20171202_140602.jpg

Back
Top Bottom