• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Nov 2nd Deer Hunt

My Son and I had a great evening. We got settled in our stand at around 4:00, a little later than I intended, but glad that we made it out there without spooking any game. It was pretty slow for the first couple of hours, but around 6:00, we had some deer working their way in from the West. It turned out to be three, one came straight in and began feeding on White Oak acorns while another one skirted around us to the right. Another came in and started heading the same direction, paralleling the one that skirted is. It stopped in an opening at 50 yards and Blaze dropped it in its tracks with one shot from the .308! The other deer out in front bolted at the report of the rifle, out to about 65 yards. He got settled on it and sent a Barnes TSX through its chest. It ran about 50 yards and piled up. After a heavy and brief blood trail that my Son was able to follow, he found the second deer. What a great afternoon spent with my Son! I am a proud Father to say the least!
View attachment 2346758
congrats and enjoy

Congrats on the double. I also got two late this evening at about 40 yards. I saw 11 deer today, 6pt, 4pt, big 8pt, and a bunch of does including the 2 that took a pickup ride. I also saw a doe swimming across the lake when I was heading out in the afternoon.

Forgot to add that I also took a trash panda. Wolf 7.62x39 HP ammo makes a mess of critters.

Got to take my best friends daughter hunting this afternoon, she is 13. We saw 13 does,a spike a 6PT and a big 7PT. I gave her the green light on the 7PT and she passed. She killed a nice 8PT last year. Brought back old memories of when me and my son used to hunt together all the time. Was a great afternoon.

My Son and I had a great evening. We got settled in our stand at around 4:00, a little later than I intended, but glad that we made it out there without spooking any game. It was pretty slow for the first couple of hours, but around 6:00, we had some deer working their way in from the West. It turned out to be three, one came straight in and began feeding on White Oak acorns while another one skirted around us to the right. Another came in and started heading the same direction, paralleling the one that skirted is. It stopped in an opening at 50 yards and Blaze dropped it in its tracks with one shot from the .308! The other deer out in front bolted at the report of the rifle, out to about 65 yards. He got settled on it and sent a Barnes TSX through its chest. It ran about 50 yards and piled up. After a heavy and brief blood trail that my Son was able to follow, he found the second deer. What a great afternoon spent with my Son! I am a proud Father to say the least!
View attachment 2346758

Well done young man (and dad) :)

8DC2A2EF-5F1D-4735-9655-4175944A8014.jpeg

This one is a little different. First deer I saw this morning at 8:00AM.

Put a bolt in this guy this evening. He was one tough boy! I'll be posting a thread about that.

9 dead.jpg

That wound on his back was a finishing shot while he was bedded down.

Biggest bodied deer I've ever killed. Easily over 200lbs live weight. Needed a block and tackle to get him out of a gully.

9 out.jpg

I knew some nice deer would be taken.Nov2 had always been a great day to hunt.
My buddy saw a big buck on way to his spot but couldn’t get a shot off ....didn’t want to spook him he said.
I told him he needs to give up hunting altogether....lol.

Back
Top Bottom