• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

NVG on a budget

sucks for who? a delta operator? hecks yeh. somebody that wants to go to their back 40 and kill some hogs or look a couple of hundred yards down their block when the power goes out? not necessarily so. Like I said for a budget their mid range stuff isn't bad. If I wanted to compare upper end stuff, I could say the kit you are selling is a piece of crap compared to the stuff I have used correct? but its good enough for what you are using it for right?

Last edited:
sucks for who? a delta operator? hecks yeh. somebody that wants to go to their back 40 and kill some hogs or look a couple of hundred yards down their block when the power goes out? not necessarily so. Like I said for a budget their mid range stuff isn't bad. If I wanted to compare upper end stuff, I could say the kit you are selling is a piece of crap compared to the stuff I have used correct? but its good enough for what you are using it for right?

And what dedicated 4 or 6 power scope do you think is gonna compete with night optics ? The old raptors were the only real competition they had ,but they are out of bus now I guess cause they weighed a lot more ,and were $1500 more and when you put a 760 or 740 beside them with a 28 s/n or higher you could really not see what the extra money was for .

When this thread started I got excited because I to have been wanting to invest in some night vision myself, but after reading this I have not learned much. Couple points of clarity would be nice. First, what is considered a "budget." As for me I am on a budget, but that does not mean I want to look through a tube and it be blurry green at 100 yards. I am wanting to hunt Coyotes and would like to be able to pick them out at 300 yards and greater. For this I believe I will need a gen 3 or better. The other question is as thermal goes down in price I keep asking myself if I should be saving for it. Anybody here used both and can say what is better (comparing the gen 3 and better nv to thermal)? The one person I have talked to said thermal was a let down. I relize maybe this needs to be a new thread that does not have the word "budget" in it because these things are expensive!!

I consider budget to be sub 3000 gen 2+. In my experience thermal is good to locate game but good nv is required to id. If you want to go gen three look at tnvc products. Hopefully I will have my hands on products from l3, armasight, and summit at my shoot in October. That way I can do an unbiased side by side comparison.

The products suck also .I have had them side by side with other products and they suck and so does the company . I have only handled their upper end stuff so if they suck wouldn't anything under suck as well ?

what is your current setup, what do you recommend (if different from what you currently use), and what price point?

what is your current setup, what do you recommend (if different from what you currently use), and what price point?

Short answer would be if I could only buy one piece of nv or thermal gear it would be a pvs 14 mounted on helmet with a ir/visible laser combo mounted on gun with a eotech or aimpoint optic . You can navigate, shoot short to med range with laser day or night ,and if you wanted you could mount pvs behind optic ,but most prefer just using pvs on helmet with ir laser for aiming . Used you should not have a hard time finding one in the $2000 range ,and I would never buy one that did not come with data sheet . That would take care of 80% of peoples needs of home protection ,and a lil hunting also .

Back
Top Bottom