• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

OBD2 scan tool purchase advice needed

MRM

Army Icon
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
47   0
Reaction score
I bought a used large suv and I am giving it the standard once over.
I figure I might as well buy a scan tool.
I want the live data record feature and more features than less.

The problem I am having is sorting through the Chinese junk.

Have one you like or a brand?

not sure if it's helps but I bought a mid price scanner from Harbor Freight (maybe $50 range after coupons?) and it's been great. I used it to diagnose and fix a few issues with my sequoia and just now starting to fix some things on my VW TDI.

so far so good.

A lot of the HF stuff is moving up in quality. Quite a few friends have got the new Predator generators (the inverter ones) and have been very happy with them. Most of these guys up them pretty often, so that's a good sign.

Reactions: MRM
not sure if it's helps but I bought a mid price scanner from Harbor Freight (maybe $50 range after coupons?) and it's been great. I used it to diagnose and fix a few issues with my sequoia and just now starting to fix some things on my VW TDI.

so far so good.

A lot of the HF stuff is moving up in quality. Quite a few friends have got the new Predator generators (the inverter ones) and have been very happy with them. Most of these guys up them pretty often, so that's a good sign.

I bought that one as well and I usually avoid Harbor Freight like the plague. Its worked very well and seems to be pretty well made.

I carry a $20 Amazon scanner in my Porsche. The one that I got had a bunch of very good reviews, at least several hundred excellent ones. Best $20 I have spent.

Scanners are no different than other consumer electronics. Get one made where your cell phone is. Wrenches, screwdrivers, micrometers, etc. is an entirely different creature.

Back
Top Bottom