• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT Cooks get in here. Catfish Stew Recipe Request!

Catfish Stew.jpg

This is my variation of a traditional New England fish chowder.

You will need to start with a cast iron dutch oven.

Genuine salt pork or streak of lean - no namby pants bacon here.
2 large onion sliced thin

2 large potatoes sliced thin

Old bay or tony cacheres seasoning, or just plain hot sauce

Salitines

Catfish filet.

Salt and pepper to taste (remember the salt pork,)

2 Cup of cream, half and half, or whole milk if wife is really on your arse.

Put a layer of salt pork cover the bottom of the dutch oven.Be generous. on top of the salt pork layer, potato, onion, catfish, until full, try to finish with layer of catfish. Add cream (cream really does make it better) Season, - if you don't use one of the blends, several splashes of Tabasco - cover with layer of saltines. Put cover on.

Put in low oven, COVERED, 250 degrees for about 2 hours, test to see if potatoes are done with a skewer. if not done well cook it some more. As long as the temp is low, and it's covered can't really overcook with in reason.

The onions and cream are what really make this recipe, that and the salt pork.

Alright...I'm gonna ask a question that hopefully doesn't get me skewered here lol...

I don't eat fish, I don't like it. Do you guys think any of these recipes would be good with a different protein? Chicken or beef?

Recipe: Cajun Coubion - Courtbouillon
©From the Kitchen of Deep South Dish
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 35 min
Yield: About 4 to 6 servings

Ingredients
  • 4 cups of homemade seafood stock*
  • 2/3 cup of roux
  • 1 cup of onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk of celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (1 pound 12 ounce) can of whole tomatoes
  • 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning (like Slap Ya Mama), or to taste
  • 2 to 3 pounds of redfish, red snapper, or catfish, cleaned
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
  • Green onion, to garnish
  • Fresh parsley, to garnish
  • Hot, cooked rice
  • Hot pepper sauce, for the table
  • Lemon wedges
Instructions

Warm the seafood stock and set aside. In a large, heavy, lidded pot, warm up the roux over medium heat, stirring constantly. If you haven't already, add the onion, celery and bell pepper to the roux and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until vegetables have softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute.

Using kitchen shears, chop the tomatoes in the can, and add to the roux and veggies. Add the Rotel tomatoes. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes. Stir in the warmed seafood stock and add the salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, and bring up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about one hour, or until nicely reduced and thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Add the fish (and other seafood if using) to the top of the sauce, sprinkle it with a bit of salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until fish is poached and cooked through. Don't stir!

Once the fish is poached through, carefully ladle the courtbouillon into a deep soup bowl, over steaming rice. Add a nice, mixed garden salad, a wedge of lemon, some fresh, hot French bread and always, hot sauce to pass at the table.

Cook's Notes: Can substitute 1 (32 ounce) container of commercial seafood stock (like Kitchen Basics), chicken or vegetable broth, or plain water. Substitute your favorite fairly firm, white fish, such as grouper, trout, cod, or tilapia.

Read more: http://www.deepsouthdish.com/2010/03/cajun-courtbouillon.html#ixzz5VwPCwP7U
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
Follow us: @DeepSouthDish on Twitter | SouthernRecipes on Facebook

Back
Top Bottom