• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

That’s great info and thanks for sharing. That tells me something because the difference between maple leafs or britannias and eagles is more than that spread. That tells me that eagles aren’t worth it based strictly on price. As of last night eagles were about 42$ and maple leafs 32 ish
just to give you a little perspective on numismatics vs bullion/generics.
the melt value of the graded coin is about 20-21 dollars
the numismatic value is about equal to the melt value of the 3-5oz bars on the right.
like dinky dau said the numismatic market will be gone in 10 or so years.
thats why i have been slowly trading off my graded coins for bullion.

Attachments

• IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 23
just to give you a little perspective on numismatics vs bullion/generics.
the melt value of the graded coin is about 20-21 dollars
the numismatic value is about equal to the melt value of the 3-5oz bars on the right.
like dinky dau said the numismatic market will be gone in 10 or so years.
thats why i have been slowly trading off my graded coins for bullion.
I believe you're 100% on that one. That's why I don't have anything slabbed and only have one Eagle. I don't like high premiums. I have paid a little more in recent years for Maples but mostly because I just like them better than most rounds or coins.

I'm not waiting!!!
I'm buying!!!
been buying 1/2 eagles....on the bay....Liberty has XF currently at $560....you can get slightly better grades on the bay....BUT....back to the gold, it's just gold, and the grade matters less....I would like to get 2 or so a month this year....about 5-6oz total....about all I can do....I'm not into gold other than coins that are recognizable....I think, outside of USA...the Maple Leaf is the best out there
DSC00222.JPG

I'm not waiting!!!
I'm buying!!!
been buying 1/2 eagles....on the bay....Liberty has XF currently at $560....you can get slightly better grades on the bay....BUT....back to the gold, it's just gold, and the grade matters less....I would like to get 2 or so a month this year....about 5-6oz total....about all I can do....I'm not into gold other than coins that are recognizable....I think, outside of USA...the Maple Leaf is the best out thereView attachment 5852019
You have to be really careful buying uncertified gold coins on Ebay. There are a ton of counterfeits out there, particularly coming from China. Most of them aren't even gold and may just be gold plated and the weight will be off. And if you buy certified (PCGS, NGC or ANACS) be aware that the Chines are counterfeiting the holders too, counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders, so learn how to check the certification number on the web sites since most come with pictures and if the picture of the coin doesn't match the certification of the picture, give it a wide berth. Best bet is buying from one of the big dealers like AMPEX or others.

Good luck and enjoy your accululation. I buy most of my gold and silver from JM Bullion and won't even buy circulated silver dollars off Ebay since a ton of them are conuterfeit and not even silver.

I'm not waiting!!!
I'm buying!!!
been buying 1/2 eagles....on the bay....Liberty has XF currently at $560....you can get slightly better grades on the bay....BUT....back to the gold, it's just gold, and the grade matters less....I would like to get 2 or so a month this year....about 5-6oz total....about all I can do....I'm not into gold other than coins that are recognizable....I think, outside of USA...the Maple Leaf is the best out thereView attachment 5852019
I’m sticking to bullion. Seems much easier to value. Coins are to involved for me at this point. I started at the end of last month with my first small purchase and plan on doing monthly purchases going forward. Nothing crazy, but I figure in 5-10 years it will add up to something versus holding on to that cash.

Back
Top Bottom