Old age whine and looking for help

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I'm turning 64 in a couple of months. I've carried concealed for the last 20 years or so (before that I was in the Air Force and when I open carried). I usually carry outside my waistband on my belt and under my shirt (old guys don't have to tuck in their shirts). My current carry pistol is a Sig P239 in 9mm. It carries OK, tucks in under my shirt OK and all that good stuff. But, being of my age I'm beginning to lose strength in my hands and the amount of force it takes to rack the slide is starting to get to be a major pain as in having to hold it between my knees and use both hands to rack the slide. I had a Glock 23 in .40 S&W and had the same issue and have several other semi-auto pistols all with the same issue. It's not likely that I'm going to regain strength in my hands and I don't want to bet my life on being able to eject a FTF and I'm certainly not going to give up CCW. So it feels like I need to go to a revolver. I also think I want to go with IWB carry. So, I'm shopping for a .38 but really want a 4 inch barrel since I don't want to let anyone get to within 2 inch barrel accuracy if I do have to do the deed. Anyone know of a .38 special with a 4 inch barrel (and I like an exposed hammer) that will still ride IWB without making it look like I'm happy to see everyone?
It's heck turning old but it's beats the alternative of not turning older.
Thanks,
Cliff

I recommend the SW 360J.

i27.photobucket.com_albums_c199_jellybofunk_IMG_0156.jpg

I so happen to have one for sale/trade. Comes with holster, nice grips, some ammo, and a smaller hammer.

A 638 would fit nice IWB but the barrel is only 2". It would be SA/DA without the hammer to dig in you though. If you gotta have a 4" barrel you might find an old model 10, probably not going to be comfortable IWB but worth a try.

I'd go with a 2.5-3 inch revolver. No difference in accuracy, easier to carry, and more options in carry models of that size.

This sounds like what I'm looking for. I haven't shot a revolver with a 3 inch barrel in a long time but it's significantly longer than the 2 and the 4 might really be too long. Reason for switching to IWB, due to some problems with my diabetes I'm getting wider in the waist and even with bigger pants the bulge is starting to show under my shirt, IWB may help to keep it hidden even better.
Thanks!

Instead of 4-inch revolver carry, I would compromise at 3-inch.. the (exposed hammer) S&W model 60 .357/.38 as it's perfect size (J-Frame) for carry with 5-rounds and the only one that size with rear adjustable sights, better than the Ruger sp101 for that reason alone. BTW, they are Stainless Steel .

This sounds like what I'm looking for. I haven't shot a revolver with a 3 inch barrel in a long time but it's significantly longer than the 2 and the 4 might really be too long. Reason for switching to IWB, due to some problems with my diabetes I'm getting wider in the waist and even with bigger pants the bulge is starting to show under my shirt, IWB may help to keep it hidden even better.
Thanks!

Go with a smaller light weight revolver and you can easily pocket carry also :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom