• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Old Car Running Again?

That's encouraging.
Now the big question is whether to go through the expense of having a local mechanic drain the fuel line before even attempting to start it. I can siphon the gas tank myself, and I have a hand pump made for transferring gas or other such liquids.

I wouldn't pay someone to drain it. I'd do exactly what you are proposing. If you siphon and pump out all you can, and partially fill it with gas, any residual will be so diluted it won't make any difference.

drop the tank and change out all of the fluids and filters. you can then try and start it and see if you get anywhere, if you can get it to spark and run then new belts and hoses and should be good to go

After you drain and fill the tank you should be able to unhook the hose at the motor then turn the key to on and the fuel pump will pump it through the lines and clear them that way. If you hire this out it probably won't be worth it. Like said before these things aren't that hard to do and should be able to do everything in a few hours yourself. If you get stuck on something just you tube it

After draining the tank, replacing fuel filter, oil and filter , flushing fuel lines, see if you can disable the crank position sensor so it will crank but not fire and will build Some Oil pressure before fire off.
I’d drive it till warm then change the oil again after hot then do a coolant flush.
The brakes might have some decent rust on them but a test drive and visual inspection will
Tell you what you’ll need to do if anything.
Don’t be shocked if oil and or other fluid leaks come about by the seals and gaskets sitting dry for so long.

After draining the tank, replacing fuel filter, oil and filter , flushing fuel lines, see if you can disable the crank position sensor so it will crank but not fire and will build Some Oil pressure before fire off.
I’d drive it till warm then change the oil again after hot then do a coolant flush.
The brakes might have some decent rust on them but a test drive and visual inspection will
Tell you what you’ll need to do if anything.
Don’t be shocked if oil and or other fluid leaks come about by the seals and gaskets sitting dry for so long.

When we pulled my sons 68 SS Chevelle out of mothballs in the garage after 14 years, I dropped the gas tank, fuel lines, filters and rebuilt the carb..The first thing I did was to pull the distributor, and put a flat long shank drill bit down to the oil pump. Hooked up the drill and pumped the oil to fill all the crank and rod bearings. Then I turned over the eng. with no ignition, to pump up the hydraulics. I did previously fill the cylinders with Marvel mystery oil. Turned the eng. over with plugs out..Wanted to make sure ring resealed. After that put the plugs in and started. She came back to life, then time to check all brake lines. Total cost to bring the monster back to life....about 2k

I wouldn’t pay a mechanic

Anyone with some mechanical ability can drop the tank and drain it

Almost anyone can disconnect the fuel line at the engine and turning on the fuel pump to clear out the line

But it may not be a problem at all

Before I paid a mechanic hundreds to do anything I’d just fill the tank and install a new battery and check the oil and water and see if it will crank

Flush the brakes after you yard drive it.
Six years is too long and who knows when it was done before it was parked.

I would clean your ground locations too.

Basically you could have many gremlins or none.
I usually end up going over the whole car before I put too many miles on it.
I do all the little tricks I've learned and then look for more vehicle specific stuff.

Many problems can be avoided if you don't rush the initial startup and prep everything that needs it first like many have said already.

Timing belt engine? Interference engine? It could need a timing belt service.

If it’s not an interference engine , and I don’t think any Toyota’s are , I see no need to replace the timing belt until it breaks unless you already have the engine half apart to replace something else

OP, throw some gas and a battery in it , check the water and oil and give it a try

No use doing all the other stuff until you know the engine runs good and the trans works good

Back
Top Bottom