One nice gun vs many "cheaper" guns

One nice gun or 2 ok guns?

• Total voters

Shemp

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
747   0
Reaction score
With the understanding that this is strictly hypothetical because while we all like to talk about guns none of us are crazy enough to own them....would you rather have 3-4 really nice guns or 10-12 cheaper guns?

I ask because a friend who is crazy enough to own guns has enough money tied up in 2 pistols to buy 2 Glocks and a couple SA 1911s....and in rifles to buy several mid grade AR-15s. He's very happy with what he's got but I'm just curious what ODT thinks about this. Whether 'tis better to only have 2 or 3 nice pistols that you use very frequently or to have 5 or 6 cheaper, but functioning, pistols of which would spend most of their time in a safe?

My friend is also of the persuasion that while a gun is a tool ( for crazy people), there is no reason not to have the prettiest dang tool you can. More importantly, tools are meant to be USED and not just sitting around waiting for a BBQ.

What say you ODT?

I always go with just a few quality guns. I'm not a collector so if they don't have a use then I don't need them.

On a side note, I had to vote Space Tacos. Tacos from space, hell yeah!

Despite what some folks here will tell you, there is usually more than "just a name" associated with a higher priced item. I fall into the fewer, but higher quality group. I guess it just depends, though on where you are as to whether you'd consider my choices "nice." I have 3 of the same exact pistol: one for the nightstand/home, one for EDC, and one for training/competition. All three are Gen 4 Glock 17's. In these roles, they serve me perfectly well and frankly I wouldn't choose a single $1,500 pistol instead of the three of these. Rifles are a different story, though. I could sell my 5.56 SBR and my .308 AR (really the only 2 rifles I own outside of some heirloom blue/walnut rifles) and probably buy about 10 PSA AR's (if I included the optics and suppressors). Would I trade? Nope! My 2 rifles are dialed in for their specific purposes and do them exceptionally well.

I love outer space. I love tacos. So naturally I'd love space tacos! Well, maybe... As long as they're not dehydrated... Or powdered.... Or required reconstitution of any kind... Or liquids for that matter. I hate soggy tacos. It's just gross. In fact, everything is gross when soggy. Like soggy underwear, it's just uncomfortable and leads to chaffing. And nobody likes that.

I am going to have to go with both.

I have some "cheaper" hunting guns like a couple of Marlin 336s, a couple of mid-range hunting guns like Brownings and Tikkas and a fully customized hunting rifle (high end). I use each of them as much as I can and each of them brings me pleasure.

Same thing for hunting pistols. I have a couple of beater TC Contenders, a couple of custom Contenders and Encores and a couple of $1000+ custom XP-100s. Each has it's own merit.

As for personal defense guns, the same applies. While I probably won't ever own a Bersa or HiPoint, I do have a couple Kahrs and CZ (<$500) but I also own a couple of expensive 1911s, although neither are in the price range of some of the truly high end 1911s, but that doesn't mean I won't own them once I get done buying up all the NFA items on my want list.

Despite what some folks here will tell you, there is usually more than "just a name" associated with a higher priced item. I fall into the fewer, but higher quality group. I guess it just depends, though on where you are as to whether you'd consider my choices "nice." I have 3 of the same exact pistol: one for the nightstand/home, one for EDC, and one for training/competition. All three are Gen 4 Glock 17's. In these roles, they serve me perfectly well and frankly I wouldn't choose a single $1,500 pistol instead of the three of these. Rifles are a different story, though. I could sell my 5.56 SBR and my .308 AR (really the only 2 rifles I own outside of some heirloom blue/walnut rifles) and probably buy about 10 PSA AR's (if I included the optics and suppressors). Would I trade? Nope! My 2 rifles are dialed in for their specific purposes and do them exceptionally well.

I agree about more than a name being associated with higher prices ( excpet maybe for Colt...$1k for a gun with a plastic MSH? Give me a break!).
My friend didn't think there would be much difference between a Les Baer and an Ed Brown...but Ed Brown really is an order of magnitude different ( better?) than the LB. So for a $2500 Ed Brown you could buy 3 SA Loaded models. Both have lifetime warranties, both will go BANG. Would you rather have 3 of them or 1 Ed Brown?

3 Kias or one BMW?

I love outer space. I love tacos. So naturally I'd love space tacos! Well, maybe... As long as they're not dehydrated... Or powdered.... Or required reconstitution of any kind... Or liquids for that matter. I hate soggy tacos. It's just gross. In fact, everything is gross when soggy. Like soggy underwear, it's just uncomfortable and leads to chaffing. And nobody likes that.

TRUF!

True...and I undertsand the logic...but at the same time why have $2500 tied up in something that is just collecting dust?

Mine don't have dust on them! lol

But to answer your question, at one time I had more firearms than I have now. However, the overall quality of those guns were not close to the level of quality I have now. I have become "picky" about what I buy. If I had to chose, I would go with owning the NICE guns and have fewer of them.

Back
Top Bottom