• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions needed: Thumb stud or thumb hole?

Dogtown Darren

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
287   0
Reaction score
I've been looking a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian's and Spyderco Delica 4 knives. Both are fine knives, but I'm leaning towards the Benchmade ever so slightly.

The main thing that's tripping me up is thumb stud vs thumb hole. About the time I get my mind made up one way, I start leaning the other way.

For those of you that have experience with both or a preference one way or another, help a brother out and drop some information and opinions on me.

Heck, while your at it, chime in on the knives, as well.

I'm just looking to step up my EDC knife a little, so any info is greatly appreciated.

I had both both and I highly recommend the benchmade. Quicker opening, way quicker closing. As far as the thumb hole vs thumb stud then stud all the way.

Benchmade with the stud. I use my knife all the time and have tried both styles. The stud is MUCH easier to manipulate one handed.

I personally carry a Spyderco Delica 4 everyday and love the knife. It is super light weight but gets the job done. I was skeptical on the hole at first as I've always had knives with studs. But since having the Delica I will not look back. I do have one for sale on here for way less than retail if you'd like to give it a try and not break the bank doing so. http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/680418-FS-FT-Spyderco-Delica-4

I've carried a Spyderco Endura in various styles/models since they have been available. May not be the best, depending on who you are arguing with, but for the money and weight, CANNOT BE BEATEN! IMO! Stud is ok, but I like the hole!:evil:

I prefer the Spyderco hole because I carry blade up clipped on my belt. When I go to deploy the Benchmade, the stud catches on my belt on its way upward and starts opening. Only took one close call to make me more cautious about how I deploy it. With the Spyderco, it's just a quick, fluid swoop and flick. With the Benchmade, I have to slow down and make sure my thumb is holding down the blade before whipping it out. It was quite annoying at first, but I have gotten used to it and I really like the mini Griptilian's axis lock more so than the liner lock style. Either way, they both make excellent knives.

I don't own a delica but always hear good things. IIRC, they are 4" and longer knives where the mini griptilian is just under 3". Doesn't seem significant, but I think it is for EDC. A Dragonfly would be closer in size to the mini grip and similar quality. A Persistence is also 3" though not as high quality. I love the lower end Spydercos though. Great knives for around $30.

Back
Top Bottom