Out of shape people are going to die first?

The same applies it the S never HTF. Daily life is more enjoyable in general if you are maintaining a healthy weight, and decent baseline level of fitness.

I agree with the everyday life part but if SHTF a little extra weight would be a benefit during the transition. I think living in the city is a much worse scenario than being a little chunky.

That's what punji sticks are for. Shish-ka-Bob (or should I say Robert?)

My mantra is: Economy of effort. Not for laziness, but for maximum productivity. New employees, particularly the younger ones don't get it. You have to drum it into them over time. It's not how hard you work, it's how much work you get accomplished.
My Pops always said. "Work smarter, not harder" Wisdom comes with age, at least for some. Nice to see there are a few old guys on here that get it.:)

Last edited:
I'm fat and old. I'll shelter in place as long as possible. One night, the wife and I will strap our BOBs to a rolling game carrier or two rolling golf carts and head for the woods. Travel at night following railways. I'm guessing most everyone else will be following the road. About the time we burn off the excess weight, the rolling carts will probably be toast. We'll also have figured out what we really need in our bags by that time. The bags will go on the backs and we'll hump to a place off the beaten path near water. Dress like cavemen, live in a hut or cave and spend the rest of our days killing small game, gathering berries and attempting to repopulate the Earth.

Sincerely,

Captain Caveman

It's less about the weight and more about what you can live without. Many overweight people are dependent on meds to keep them working properly ex. BP meds and then there is all the other meds that some people just can't go without for periods of time. Antidepressants can be done without but will screw with people's ability to mentally navigate tough situations and fighting depression is a real thing and can be devastating for some. Even simple stuff like the lack allergy meds can cause mild sickness that would be exacerbated in a survival situation.

Fitness matters in many ways but it's not everything. If you're bugging in with high calorie MREs or something you'll put on weight fast due to the lack of exercise so having a daily fitness routine can be beneficial since you're used to exercising and it'l be easier to keep some form of that going once things settle down.

To me, it seems like it's a combination of mental and physical breaking points in extreme situations.

If you're in shape, but mentally weak, it probably won't end well for you. Conversely, if you're overweight and mentally strong, but you accidentally do serious harm to your body during some extreme situation due to not being in shape, it probably won't end well for you, either. It seems a good balance between the two isn't a bad thing at all - not being in SEAL physical shape but also not being in SEAL mental shape, either, to put it in extremes. Realistic expectations is key.

The best way I've heard it put goes something along the lines of:
"You're going to be in a fight sometime in your lifetime. Whether it is physical fights against others on large or small scales or a fight against diabetes, heart disease, or cancer - it doesn't matter. You're going to be in a fight sometime in your life. So train for it."

Last edited:
I consider myself a member of the Delta house fraternity. Fat, drunk and stupid. I will outlive the Neidemiers' of the world. I consider Animal House my survival guide for when the SHTF.

Careful, salty language.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom