Out of shape people are going to die first?

Not reading all 11 pages but there's a difference between being 'fit' and being 'in shape'. I'm 6'0" and 175#. Thin by most accounts. I can sure as hell go a LOT longer with out food and still function at a higher level than either my heavier friends or my 'fit' friends. I'm not saying it's by design or effort either but I am fairly active (for a desk jockey I guess).
Case in point, the most 'fit' guy I know (works out like a fiend and is as strong as an ox) can't seem to go more than 2 hours without eating something due to the calories he burns everyday or he'll go face down. His body fat is next to nothing. He's about 6'1" and weighs around 190# (fluctuates+-10) and it's PURE muscle. But I've been on hunting hikes with him and he's huffing and puffing like he's about to die where I'm not even noticing it. However, if I needed him to lift a car, he could probably do it when I wouldn't even bother trying. Strong? Oh yeah? Aerobically he's a total wimp and is CONTSTANTLY fighting some cold or another I'm sure because he stresses his system so much (eats a bunch of high protein garbage).
In SHTF I'm not sure if stamina or strength is more valuable but given his caloric needs and lack of stamina, I'm viewing him as a liablity.

I think some member's signature here once said something like "fitness is crucial to survival, gear just makes it easier" or something like that. I would agree with that theory to an extent.
Obviously certain gear is crucial, but if someone struggles to run (or walk) to the end of the block, then they will have some serious issues surviving most of the typically discussed SHTF scenarios.
I agree with the OP that fitness is free (and important), but there are some with various health issues that may permanently or temporarily prevent them from doing certain fitness training. With that said, I do think general fitness could be improved by almost everyone, including me.

Not reading all 11 pages but there's a difference between being 'fit' and being 'in shape'. I'm 6'0" and 175#. Thin by most accounts. I can sure as hell go a LOT longer with out food and still function at a higher level than either my heavier friends or my 'fit' friends. I'm not saying it's by design or effort either but I am fairly active (for a desk jockey I guess).
Case in point, the most 'fit' guy I know (works out like a fiend and is as strong as an ox) can't seem to go more than 2 hours without eating something due to the calories he burns everyday or he'll go face down. His body fat is next to nothing. He's about 6'1" and weighs around 190# (fluctuates+-10) and it's PURE muscle. But I've been on hunting hikes with him and he's huffing and puffing like he's about to die where I'm not even noticing it. However, if I needed him to lift a car, he could probably do it when I wouldn't even bother trying. Strong? Oh yeah? Aerobically he's a total wimp and is CONTSTANTLY fighting some cold or another I'm sure because he stresses his system so much (eats a bunch of high protein garbage).
In SHTF I'm not sure if stamina or strength is more valuable but given his caloric needs and lack of stamina, I'm viewing him as a liablity.

Good points, there are certainly different types of fitness and they all depend on how the individual trains. Some are strong, but lack endurance, others could run for days, but struggle to lift a gallon of milk. A powerlifter can move the fridge, but might not be able to run around the block, and yes, he requires more calories as well (not picking on powerlifters, but thats an easy example). Certain sports emphasize training that may or may not translate to a SHTF scenario. Obviously, like most things in life, balance is incredibly important. Get strongER, improve your cardio ability, and maybe even throw in some agility and such....being well rounded is great (no, this will NOT be a Crossfit plug).

If you want to train for SHTF.....how would you do that? Maybe walk or jog a good distance with your actual bug out bag on? Sprint 100 yards and try to shoot some targets accurately? Live off the land for a weekend, while scavenging and eating plants that you pull out of the ground, all while walking everywhere and fighting the elements? Build a shelter, find some clean water, and attempt to kill some animal for food. These training situations are potentially stressful, mentally and physically, just in different ways. Obviously the possibilities are as endless as the possible SHTF scenarios.

Last edited:
Agreed 4% body fat weight lifter isn't optimal, but probably still better than 300 lb couch jockey. The best is just what I refer to as "functionally fit". 10-15 lbs of body fat is a good thing so long as it rides right on your frame. I just went to an advanced carbine training this weekend and I'll say there's a lot to be said for flexibility when contorting to unconventional firing positions.

There was a study some time ago that showed that overweight people actually live longer - go figure. However, that was overweight from what is considered clinically normal. Being overweight to the point of obesity is NEVER a good thing.

Agreed 4% body fat weight lifter isn't optimal, but probably still better than 300 lb couch jockey. The best is just what I refer to as "functionally fit". 10-15 lbs of body fat is a good thing so long as it rides right on your frame. I just went to an advanced carbine training this weekend and I'll say there's a lot to be said for flexibility when contorting to unconventional firing positions.

Being physically fit is important. Being mentally prepared is more important.

If you're having to contort into unconventional firing positions, you're in trouble. While its great to be able to do it; having to do it means you are engaged in a firefight. In a SHTF scenario, avoiding contact with unknowns is paramount.

Back
Top Bottom