• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Out of shape people are going to die first?

If your plan is to be on the move when the shtf, your dead already. Long distance running won't get you many places in the apocalypse. To many vigilantes, either singular or in packs. Once the metro areas are drained of resources the hoards begin moving out of the city looking for food, etc.... Smart play is to bunker down and stay concealed. On this side of the Mississippi we can't out run the hoard so we have to deal with it. This is an area where money can help too. Build an underground sustainable living quarters with armored acces and no marathon runner is going to run his way in. Build that compound on a large piece of acreage and you can set up a perimeter with defenses and caches all on your property. Stay hidden for a few months and everyone kills each other off. Then start working your way out in an area you have scouted and are very familiar with. Home field advantage is key. The personal health issue matters to the point that you need to be healthy enough to fight off infections, common cold, and simple things we take for granted. Medicine is another thing money can help you buy and store up. SHTF healthy is also a very different kind of "healthy" than a highly trained athlete. I am a former college football player and can tell you that a lot of highly trained athletes' systems are so delicately in balance, or highly tuned, to do what they do that a slight cold can wreak havoc on them. Day laborers are some of the toughest SOB's that exist. So respect the common man in the SHTF scenario. They have been exposed to more and can likely naturally defend against most sicknesses. Have a lot of ammo on hand (money) and have a good number of guns that are the same with interchangeable parts (money). This is a better bet than running out with a backpack and a prayer, but it is not as cheap as the backpack either.

Moral of this story, don't look for me if the SHTF, you won't find me or my family!

If your plan is to be on the move when the shtf, your dead already. Long distance running won't get you many places in the apocalypse. To many vigilantes, either singular or in packs. Once the metro areas are drained of resources the hoards begin moving out of the city looking for food, etc.... Smart play is to bunker down and stay concealed. On this side of the Mississippi we can't out run the hoard so we have to deal with it. This is an area where money can help too. Build an underground sustainable living quarters with armored acces and no marathon runner is going to run his way in. Build that compound on a large piece of acreage and you can set up a perimeter with defenses and caches all on your property. Stay hidden for a few months and everyone kills each other off. Then start working your way out in an area you have scouted and are very familiar with. Home field advantage is key. The personal health issue matters to the point that you need to be healthy enough to fight off infections, common cold, and simple things we take for granted. Medicine is another thing money can help you buy and store up. SHTF healthy is also a very different kind of "healthy" than a highly trained athlete. I am a former college football player and can tell you that a lot of highly trained athletes' systems are so delicately in balance, or highly tuned, to do what they do that a slight cold can wreak havoc on them. Day laborers are some of the toughest SOB's that exist. So respect the common man in the SHTF scenario. They have been exposed to more and can likely naturally defend against most sicknesses. Have a lot of ammo on hand (money) and have a good number of guns that are the same with interchangeable parts (money). This is a better bet than running out with a backpack and a prayer, but it is not as cheap as the backpack either.

Moral of this story, don't look for me if the SHTF, you won't find me or my family!

I guaaarannnteee, you won't find me!

I'm a fatazz. I'm trying to work on it though. I might appear to be out of shape. But I run/jog a lot now. Last sunday I ran/jogged/walked 10.1 miles. I've done 50 miles recently in the past 28 days. I'm about to head to town to get my run/jog/walk/whatever on. I'm not looking to get a set of washboard abs. Heck I'd be happy just to loose the lovehandles. I just want to get my weight down another 25lbs at least and my good cholesterol up. (Bad cholesterol was fine)

I'm headed to the gym.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    485.1 KB · Views: 169
Maybe someday, the OP can get old and fat and rich, but I doubt it. Some fat 40 year old is going to beat the living daylights out of him first for being uhhh petulant. ;) Just kidding.

As a fat old guy with arthritis, metal structural augmentation, and a few other serious well earned issues, I have learned that pushups do little to help you in a true survival situation. Survival is 95% mindset, 5% preparation. I've seen young cocky attitudes fall by the wayside in long term training, and I've seen soft girly women excel. It's what is in your brain that counts most. It's how a person feels about his/her self. Are you a victim? Is the world out to get you for not giving you opportunities? Do people pick on you because of ________? -OR- Do you make things happen. Do you take charge. Do you identify goals, make plans and do whatever you have to, to get what you want?

As for being in shape, go for it, just don't be a Bear Grylls and get yourself killed.

While being young and in shape helps make it easier, there is a reason supervisors tend to be older, and if chosen correctly have been tested before. Maybe that old guy is an arm chair commando, maybe not. If not, don't discount him for how he looks, learn what he has to teach you.

So I find it almost comical. The other day I am at a guys house and he is 60 or so and can barely go up and down stairs because of his weight. He is showing me his gun collection and bragging about his bug out bags etc. And how he's going to make it when the shtf and everybody else is screwed. I am looking at this guy and thinking he wouldn't make it one block without a respirator. Don't get me wrong I believe in being prepared as best you can with everything but money alone can't buy protection if it could we would send a bunch of fat and rich CEOs to fight our wars for us. Fitness is free! And besides your know how is your greatest asset! Let me know what you guys think about out if shape rich so called peepers who have everything but couldn't do 5 push-ups or carry a pack?

I think the key here is to look at yourself when you're 60 OP as SJ pointed out it's not the fittest that's going to survive it's how you carry yourself as you survive to make it to 60. Don't count us old guys out, you may be surprised. One day you'll look back and say dang I'm 60 what can I do or what can't I do at this age? OR as my DAD used to say "if you live long enough you're going to see some things happen you're not going to believe"

Man that was a sprited debate! I like it!!! You boys got some fire in the belly!!
i will say I'm more than a little disturbed about the mentioning of canabalism over and over again. Haha

Back
Top Bottom