OUT of STOCK (new SAIGA fishing poles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, didn't understand what you were trying to say.

I've never owned a pre-ban gun, so I can't speak for those. Keep in mind I equate quality to how well the gun is built not how close it is in configuration to an AKM. The Vepr is 100% Russian materials and workmanship when you get it off the shelf. I could care less if it it doesn't have a bayo lug or etc... I would prefer a Vepr I converted over a factory Arsenal, even a milled Arsenal.

I'd like to get a 54r but I think the 308 may be better for me as AR10s are my primary long range gun and I reload. I saw on Definitive Arms website they are now doing mag conversions on the 308 Veprs so they will take SR25 pattern/Pmags

Sorry, didn't understand what you were trying to say.

I've never owned a pre-ban gun, so I can't speak for those. Keep in mind I equate quality to how well the gun is built not how close it is in configuration to an AKM. The Vepr is 100% Russian materials and workmanship when you get it off the shelf. I could care less if it it doesn't have a bayo lug or etc... I would prefer a Vepr I converted over a factory Arsenal, even a milled Arsenal.

Yeah, agree in part. I like to build my own for this very reason. To get a custom built ak where everything is perfect costs too much. They are great guns but can be built for half the price and comparable quality if you know what you're doing. I used to love saigas but once I got one that had canted sights so bad I couldn't hit paper at 25 yards, out of the box coupled with parts interchangeability, I moved on. I still have a few that shoot great though.

Arsenals are great but like said, I'd rather build myself. That way there are no surprises

I have no complaints with Arsenal, I currently own a SLR-95, which is kind of cheating since it was a 100% Bulgarian gun and I converted it as well lol. I really liked the SLR-106 series when I owned a couple of them, they treated 5.56 brass well enough to reload.

Or spend about $200 and get this:

View attachment 503073

A new Russian AK with new chrome lined CHF russian barrel. Not knocking the WASR, but not in the same class. Oh, did I forget to mention magwell dimples? Also, the satisfaction of doing the conversion. Also, 922r compliant.
You got that for $200 or $200 over the price they're asking for a new Saiga?

I'd leave the discussion now too if I were you. I hope your building experience is greater than your reading comprehension skills are. I doubt it from your posts. Nobody equated a trigger guard to a trunnion, in fact I was implying the opposite by stating whether it's a trigger guard or trunnion. My point was, no matter how small, do it right.

Please do explain to me why you use screws instead of rivets on your builds. I'd like to hear the advantages, other than that's the only way you know how to do it

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I will tell you that other than Marc Krebs and Jim Fuller, I don't know of ANYONE who can do a better job of converting a Saiga than canoecanoe--I have handled three or four Conversions that he's done, and they are TOP NOTCH--After I Traded him out of one in 5.56x45, I was SO IMPRESSED with it, I sold my Arsenal SLR-106, so--Ya' might wanna' RETHINK your "Internet Know-It-all Superman" approach--Just sayin'....mikey357

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I will tell you that other than Marc Krebs and Jim Fuller, I don't know of ANYONE who can do a better job of converting a Saiga than canoecanoe--I have handled three or four Conversions that he's done, and they are TOP NOTCH--After I Traded him out of one in 5.56x45, I was SO IMPRESSED with it, I sold my Arsenal SLR-106, so--Ya' might wanna' RETHINK your "Internet Know-It-all Superman" approach--Just sayin'....mikey357

Since you mention jim fuller, he's just one of the people that warned me about screw builds when I was in their shop in NV earlier this year. he also has a if you're going to do it, do it right approach.

I'm glad you're happy with your conversion, well I take that back, I really don't care but I will say this about it. If it was converted with screws, it's nothing special. JUST SAYIN'

You got that for $200 or $200 over the price they're asking for a new Saiga?
$200 plus the price of the Saiga. The only screws I used were to attach the OEM trigger guard that I salvaged from the conversion.

Anyone that considers this a "screw" build is a pinhead and has no knowledge of converting a Saiga. . If a person considers this a "screw" build then I guess attaching a butt stock also makes for a "secrew" build. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom