• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Overcoming Fear

I understand your fear I have a little myself. I occasionally have to climb up on stuff at work I’m not comfortable with. The only way I’ve found is just force yourself to do it it sucks for a while but eventually it gets easier the more you do it.

I can force myself to a degree but that anxiety leading up to making myself do it sucks :lol: I know rationally 10-15 ft isn’t anything to really worry about yet when the time comes I can’t do it without going through every possible bad scenario

I am not a lover of height these days but when I joined the military in 1957, I was anxious about everything. I enlisted for Airborne, not knowing if I had the guts to jump. Well I made it and for three years in the 101st even though I still had this fear, I was going to do it, even if I died.
I've seen guys freeze in fear and panic . There is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone is different and probably all of us have some kind of phobia. Nothing to fear but fear itself as President Roosevelt so eloquently said.

Well I’m sure I will get some ridicule and jokes but this is something that’s been bothering me a lot lately and I figured I would come see if through the jokes I may gain something to help

So I’ve done a lot of stupid asinine stuff and even put myself knowingly in to bad situations and have always been cool as a cucumber during it with the occasional adrenaline dump after in some cases.

The issue is I have an irrational fear of heights. I’m talking like 10ft off the ground lately makes me knot up inside. I can force myself to do it in some cases but simply getting on a ladder to clean the gutters gives me anxiety. I am willing to try about anything at this point to at least improve but have no idea where to start on something like this. I don’t want to jump out of planes but climbing up 15-20 ft without freaking out would be great :lol:
I was that way right up till I got in a 210 condor lift and got set out on a 2' grid of 2" steel at 135' above Manhattan, with a paint hose that went all the way back to the ground in tow. It took me almost 10 mins to adapt. Any work surface under 50' meant you slid to the ground hugging a bus..

Well I’m sure I will get some ridicule and jokes but this is something that’s been bothering me a lot lately and I figured I would come see if through the jokes I may gain something to help

So I’ve done a lot of stupid asinine stuff and even put myself knowingly in to bad situations and have always been cool as a cucumber during it with the occasional adrenaline dump after in some cases.

The issue is I have an irrational fear of heights. I’m talking like 10ft off the ground lately makes me knot up inside. I can force myself to do it in some cases but simply getting on a ladder to clean the gutters gives me anxiety. I am willing to try about anything at this point to at least improve but have no idea where to start on something like this. I don’t want to jump out of planes but climbing up 15-20 ft without freaking out would be great :lol:
The older we get the more that kinda stuff affects us. It's your body saying this is a bad idea. Listen to your body.

I had a friend try to install his own satellite dish. He was about ten foot up a ladder when he fell backwards landing on a fence center of his back. Broke his back into and he is paralyzed for the rest of his life.

In situations like that hire a professional.

I am not a lover of height these days but when I joined the military in 1957, I was anxious about everything. I enlisted for Airborne, not knowing if I had the guts to jump. Well I made it and for three years in the 101st even though I still had this fear, I was going to do it, even if I died.
I've seen guys freeze in fear and panic . There is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone is different and probably all of us have some kind of phobia. Nothing to fear but fear itself as President Roosevelt so eloquently said.
I don't like spiders, tics and mosquitos. ;)

I’m with you man… this pic makes me draw up even sitting in my recliner

CAEE8D6D-135F-41EF-B432-5B4C7AA154E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom