P and PLUS P amoo questions....

Marmstrong911

Default rank <300 posts
1911 Hoarder
24   0
Reaction score
How do you feel about using PLUS P ammo in your factory handguns?

I run hundereds of rounds through ALL of my guns while at the range. I have always been torn with shooting PLUS P or PLUS PLUS P ammo in them over a prolonged period of time. I have read all the NET hype about they cause no damamge an are "perfectly" fine. I am just not sure if exposing your guns to a "hotter" load over a prolonged period of time is wise for the longevity of the firearm....

Your thoughts....?????

It depends on the gun. Increased pressure is according to SAMMI spec. Many import loads are hotter than the range fodder we shoot in the US. Most Euro guns perform well, and were designed with +p type pressures in mind. Typically your defense loads are the only ones that will be increased pressure, so it's doubtful you'll be slinging too much of that downrange anyway.
The real issue is making sure you keep 38 spl +p out of older revolvers not designed for increased pressure loads.

+P and +p+ can be fired through some firearms. Some firearms are manufactured better than others, and the amount of this type of ammo fired through any firearm should be limited to a certain degree. It is wise to upgrade the firearm prior to shooting the hotter ammo. Higher rate recoil springs and recoil buffers are the first place to start before you use the hotter ammo, but keep your standard recoil springs for standard ammo. Consult your firearm manual and or manufacturer prior to shooting the hotter stuff, and shoot the hotter loads in moderation. A good analogy is to consider that when you own a car, you don't put the pedal to the floor every time you accelerate winding the engine up to high rpm's from red light to red light, simply because it uses more gas and has more wear and tear on the vehicle. Same principle with the hot ammo and your firearm.

I carry +P+ in my 9MM EDC just because it gives an appreciable jump in velocity and energy. But I also just shoot enough of theose rounds to establish reliability and point of aim. I figure that the amount of +p and +P+ rounds I actually put down the pipe will make a negligible difference in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom