• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Palmetto State Armory critics... are they worth a hoot?

I have a PTAC upper on a polymer rifle and I have been real happy with it. I have been feeding it nothing but steel case Tulammo for almost six years now and it's never had a hiccup. That being said, I think buying from PSA is a little bit like playing roulette. I have gotten some awesome products and some that we also garbage. It's been a mixed bag and I have heard plenty of horror stories.
I'm glad someone has had a good PTAC, hopefully that's a sign there improving.

I'm glad someone has had a good PTAC, hopefully that's a sign there improving.
IDK about improving. I got that upper over six years ago. It was one of the first PTACs to hit the market (the original $199 complete URG) and I have no idea if they got better or worse since that initial batch. I got lucky with that purchase, but I have been unlucky on a couple others, so it's a wash.

I bought a 300BLK upper from them shot it and it started jamming. Got it home and broke it down and saw the gas key had a burr on it which chewed up the gas tube. Called PSA they said send it in and I was looking at 6-8 week turn around. I ask them to send me a new gas tube and gas key and I would fix it myself. They told me they didn't have those parts so I ordered them myself fix the upper which runs great now and is very accurate. But I will not order from PSA again. If you notice that they change everything so that the reviews that people put on don't stay up very long. I won't buy from them again.

My 10.5 upper came in Wednesday. I'm no gunsmith or anything, but it looked good to me. A2 front sight seems to be straight, gas key staking looks good, no isses. Fits on my Anderson lower with no play. I went out and shot about 10 rounds just to function check it, shot some weak PMC 223, it cycled like a champ. Now just waiting on the rear sight and the shockwave blade so I can sight her in.

They have probably started sourcing better parts since my experience just because of the market being the way it is now. I do know that P-Tac is a no go and I don't get a lot positive feedback on Freedom line from a lot of the guys I know that have went that route. I am sure they make some good rifles but I am so picky about the parts I use for my builds I just can't bring myself to use inexpensive parts. It's a curse for sure.

I've actually had more issues with anderson LPKs then PSA, I've gotten bent springs, burs on the trigger and disconnector, and out of selectors and takedown pins from anderson, all PSA LPKs I've gotten have been flawless so far. I've had my freedom line 5.56 for years and not a single issue with it, the only issue I had with it was caused by a bent trigger spring (from an anderson LPK not PSA) the upper itself has run perfect. I've fed it mostly tula. I also have one of their 9mm carbines which shoots whatever I put in it without issues, 115s, 124s, 147s, etc. I will say it isn't the best quality stuff on the market but I haven't personally had any issues.

But due to the new tax on us GA residents I've actually started ordering from Ground Zero Precision in TX. They have great stuff, full kit of parts, and fast shipping (Usually free if over a certain amount). All the parts are excellent with a huge number of choices, I may order from PSA again but it would have to be a smokin deal since they stack on an extra $100 in tax and shipping on large orders.

I’d trust a PSA AR before I’d trust any bull**** that was shoveled at me by some “expert” working a gun store counter.

Especially from AR Bunker of all places. They’ve had $2000 Daniel Defense rifles sitting in the same spot for years. I asked to see one once and it was dusty lol.

asking the bunker about psa is like asking your local ace hardware store owner about home depot: you’re not going to get an unbiased answer from the competition

Back
Top Bottom