ParaOrd LTC Extractor Q...

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
See solution below

ORIGINAL QUESTION:
I'm sure someone has run into this. My son's Para LTC (commander size) 1911 broke the PXT extractor. Yep just in time for Para to be bought out...long story made shorter, we tried the sleeve with a standard extractor that brownells sells...couldn't bend the extractor enough to get a tight fit and it seemed "long" not ever holding a case. Finally I got a hold of the PXT extractor EGW makes specifically for the Para, it too seems to long to bend to fit. SO THE QUESTION FOR ME BECOMES, Is it normal to have .040-.050 gap between the slide and the claw of the extractor even with a case in it before starting to tension/bend it? Or is there maybe a difference between a 5" 1911 & a 4" 1911 extractor?

See picture below
ParaExtractor_drawnOn2.JPG

SOLUTION:
Well I have to eat a little crow here guys. When I went to do this extractor replacement I for some reason had it in my mind that the tension was held between the brass case and the breach face. WRONG! The tension is measured from the extractor claw to the opposite side where the brass case contacts a cut in the slide (on the inside). I was deep cleaning my Colt and so when I went to put the firing pin & extractor back in I noticed it seemed to have the same gap my son's para had. Put in an empty case and sure enough .39 inch gap from the case to the breach face.

So armed with that knowledge I went back to putting in the EGW PX extractor, tensioned it to 24 ounces with the weaver case tension gauge, and now it magically cycled dummy rounds just fine. Took it to the range today and the tension looks to be just a tad high since every so often we would get a round that wouldn't feed perfectly in the chamber. Tap the slide on the back and it would fire and eject fine. Since the cases all seemed to have a bigger than normal "nick" from the extractor we are going to try to "loosen up" the tension down to about 16-17 ounces to match the tension on my colt and see what happens.

Hope this helps some other wanna be "home smith" out there. It really isn't so hard once you know what your doing. :)

OTHER NOTES:
EGW - was great on sales help, but never responded to three separate emails requesting information on the extractor possibly being to long. Chances are they don't respond to that kind of thing because of the lawyers OR they just knew I was a bone head and their product was fine. Just wish they would have at least said "sorry can't talk about installation" or something like that. Still a great product.

PARA (now Remington) - well there customer service SUCKS something bad. No reply to any emails where I let them know they sent me the wrong part. When I called they had nothing to say and didn't even mention the possibility of getting the gun repaired. More like sorry we can't help type of info.

Last edited:
The sleeve was from Brownells - Millenium custom extractor sleeve 100-005-329.
We tried two extractors. 1) EGW HD Extractor series 80 .45 #10313 and 2) One that Para sent me as they were transitioning and it had not info, looks to be a generic run of the mill extractor.

All three seem to have the same issue with being seemingly to long. Fresh out of the box have all had so much room between the "claw" of the extractor and the flat part where the firing pin comes out of. (I'm sure there is a name for that spot on the slide) Any how about double the width of the of the rim on a .45acp case. Just seems like way to much space to bend to fit.

The picture was with the EGW PXT replacement extractor. I could install the others with the sleeve and take pictures too if that helps. I really want to learn this and it doesn't seem hard...I mean come on I've built whole rifles, this is just one tiny part. :-)

almost all 1911 extractors are "long" not he best for accuracy but most will function fine.. Bullseye pistols will have modified extractors to make them shorter.

if the extractor will pass this test

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

you should be ok.. bending the extractor is only for getting the right tension.

NOPE, test one fails by a long shot. The extractor is so long that there is so much distance between the claw end of the extractor and where the firing pin comes out that there is no tension...and it would take .041 (over 1/32 of an inch) before the extractor will even start to hold the case.

It just seemed to me that is a LOT of bending in such a short amount of space. I can try, but I wanted to ask first because dang I don't want to break things at $60 a pop.

I expected that everything would be somewhat parallel and perpendicular not bent over on an angle to grab the edge of the brass to hold it.

bending too much is only going to give you more issues with too much tension.

just out of curiosity how tight is your firing pin stop in the extractor slot?

if all of them have .040 of space between the hook and slide face then something is way out of spec..

you might call EGW and ask if they have ever seen this.. that make an extractor with no firing pin slot for gunsmith fitting in their HD line. EGW may have a solution for you..

the blank extractor is not something I'd recommend for the average person to try and fit.

The firing pin stop is just a tad more than hand tight...need a light tapping to get it in. (didn't want to fit it just yet till I know what is going on) AND I don't think there is any way to put that in backwards. ;-)

All three of the extractors had about the same space, so it seems something is out of whack. I've put in an email to EGW but of coarse I'm not going to hear anything until after the weekend.

OH how I hope I don't have to send this in for warranty work, but at this point I just don't know. I'm hoping EGW might know...I just don't have enough experience under my belt w/1911(s) yet. Let you all know what I find out from EGW and go from there.

Yea that doesn't give me any confidence...but maybe it will all work out.

Really stinks, we bought this one based on my old 90s P14.45 that I shoot about 10k rounds through it nearly flawlessly. Shame on me for not checking back into the company before buying.

This ltc only had 1400 rounds through it before the px4 extractor broke.

Back
Top Bottom