Passing a School Bus - Lesson Learned

And you didn't see the red flashing lights on the back of the bus that indicate it had stopped? They come on when the sign comes out.

I didn't approach the bus from behind. I turned left into a turning lane next to the bus. I was watching all around me and spotted the flashing stop sign just as I went by. The sign was completely out of view until I was in the turn lane and driving along the bus.

I didn't approach the bus from behind. I turned left into a turning lane next to the bus. I was watching all around me and spotted the flashing stop sign just as I went by. The sign was completely out of view until I was in the turn lane and driving along the bus.
Consider it one of life's tuition payments. We all make them.

That sucks. Gather all the evidence you can. Then talk with an attorney. They will let you know if you have a case or if you should just pay it. But since they get paid only to work, I would imagine you will have a very winnable case in their opinion.

The wife got one in Cobb County.. I paid the 400 dollar ticket.. I don't see one getting off of these types of tickets,..
Go in with evidence though in hopes the cop doesn't show for court..

I just got off the phone with a friend who is a paralegal and has a brother who is an attorney. His advice is to gather as much evidence as possible (photo, video, etc) to prove there was no reason for a bus to stop there. He also suggested contacting the county to determine if there are any drop off/pick up locations in that area, etc. He then said to start contacting the solicitor 2-3 weeks before my court date and try to get it changed to a lesser charge. If they won't work with me he suggested to ask for a continuance and hire a lawyer. I drop my daughter off every day and have never seen a bus with its lights on there...ever.

Buses turn on yellow warning lights before they turn to red and the stop sign comes out. They are impossible to miss. Just from what I read of your story, traffic stopped for the bus and that's when you saw the break in traffic. Most buses also have camera's so it'll be your version against theirs and theirs has video.

I just got off the phone with a friend who is a paralegal and has a brother who is an attorney. His advice is to gather as much evidence as possible (photo, video, etc) to prove there was no reason for a bus to stop there. He also suggested contacting the county to determine if there are any drop off/pick up locations in that area, etc. He then said to start contacting the solicitor 2-3 weeks before my court date and try to get it changed to a lesser charge. If they won't work with me he suggested to ask for a continuance and hire a lawyer. I drop my daughter off every day and have never seen a bus with its lights on there...ever.

doesn't matter if there is or was a reason for the bus to stop there. The bus WAS stopped there with lights and stop sign displayed. You passed it. You are guilty. I personally would go to court and plead guilty. If you don't have any other tickets on your record more than likely they will differ your sentence and make you take a defensive driving course.

<~~~ Not a lawyer.

Buses turn on yellow warning lights before they turn to red and the stop sign comes out. They are impossible to miss. Just from what I read of your story, traffic stopped for the bus and that's when you saw the break in traffic. Most buses also have camera's so it'll be your version against theirs and theirs has video.

Easy for you to say that not being there. Traffic is always stopped in this area because of the insane volume. You are dependent on someone being courteous and letting you in. I could not see the lights on since I didn't approach it from behind but from the side. Buses never stop in this area. The only flashing lights I saw were the ones on the stop sign as I went by it while I was in the center turning lane trying to get over. Before I crossed traffic to get in the center, my view of the lights on the back of the bus and the stop sign were blocked from view. I know I saw the bus but could not see the lights. I am telling you, it was a complete trap/set-up. Bus was empty and cop was looking for revenue.

Back
Top Bottom