• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Passing a School Bus - Lesson Learned

tdi_g

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
50   0
Reaction score
So this morning, I dropped my daughter off at school at Friendship Christian School in South Forsyth County off of Old Atlanta Road and Windermere Parkway. I have to take a left out of the school against all the chaotic traffic. This morning, I got two cars to stop for me to let me out and as I was turning, I looked to my right side to make sure I wouldn't get hit by an oncoming car and when I saw it was clear I started to go. Then immediately I saw that I was going by a school bus with the stop sign out... Keep in mind, there are no houses or drop offs where the bus was stopped. Right away, I see police lights coming my way from the opposite direction. There was another car in front of me and she should have seen the bus no doubt since she approached it from behind and not from the side like I did. I saw the officer start yelling at her while I sat there in the middle lane and waited. I explained to the officer that I was turning left and could not see the bus until I was right on it. He didn't yell at me the same way he yelled at the girl in front of me because I think he knew it was very difficult if not impossible for me to see the sign from the angle I came up to it.

I know that passing a school bus is a serious offense and could result in 6 points on my license. What kind of defense do I have against a ticket like this? I am assuming I should probably get an attorney involved not just accept the ticket and pay the fine. 6 points will result in an insane increase in insurance premiums. I currently have a clean driving record (31 years old). Any legal advice on this one or does anyone have an attorney they would recommend?

Edited to remove nonsense.

Did he write a ticket for the girl in the car ahead of you?

That is going to be very tough to beat. Judges take public safety very seriously (think of the Chil'ren!!!). As soon as you saw the bus/sign you should have come to a screeching halt and snarled up traffic.

Last edited:
How can you not see a giant yellow school bus?

No doubt I could see the bus. It is near a school and buses go in and out of there constantly. It was the flashing lights I didn't see since I was taking a left into the turn lane and looking all directions to make sure I didn't get smashed into by an idiot. I essentially got into the turn lane right next to the bus. If you saw how chaotic that area is in the morning you would understand where I am coming from. Where is bus stopped is not a drop off or pick up zone.

Did he write a ticket for the girl in the car ahead of you?

That is going to be very tough to beat. Judges take public safety very seriously (think of the Chil'ren!!!). As soon as you saw the bus/sign you should have come to a screeching halt and snarled up traffic.

It was too late. I saw the stop sign as I was going by it and immediately stopped.

Edit-I am assuming he gave the girl a ticket but didn't ask.

Last edited:
Yes. Also, if you the next day/ASAP try to take some pics/video/dashcam of the bus and your path around it to illustrate how you couldn't have seen the sign.

There are always buses. Tomorrow I will take pics of where I was and how traffic is in the morning. I see buses there all the time but buses don't pick up or drop off on that road due to the insane amount of traffic.

I would have followed the bus out as he was dealing with the other lady.

He saw me and my car is very recognizable. There was no getting around this one.

Back
Top Bottom