Pawn Star Revival

Guys it makes me feel good to able to bring back a fine firearm back from disparity. Thanks for the comment 77REBELBOWTIE on the red locktite on the magazine release but I'm not sure it was red locktite or I'm just a nob and not getting it. I can hope for the former but it's likely the latter.

I have made mistakes before and with time I have tried to learn and to stop and do no more harm. Sometimes the best option is to stop and reconsider.

The S&W 3rd generation pistols are great pistols. If you know your way around a 1911 or a Hi-Power you will be fine working on one of these. The first generation had some feeding issues that were related to design issues that were corrected in subsequent models.

Last edited:
When I read that you were going to fix an ugly finish with a sandblaster I was skeptical but it looks amazing!

BamaFan, suggest you look at :

" Dad's Water Damaged Colt!!! "

entry in this same forum of 'Gunsmithing & Repairs'.

You might be as amazed as I was.

Guys it makes me feel good to able to bring back a fine firearm back from disparity. Thanks for the comment 77REBELBOWTIE on the red locktite on the magazine release but I'm not sure it was red locktite or I'm just a nob and not getting it. I can hope for the former but it's likely the latter.

I have made mistakes before and with time I have tried to learn and to stop and do no more harm. Sometimes the best option is to stop and reconsider.

The S&W 3rd generation pistols are great pistols. If you know your way around a 1911 or a Hi-Power you will be fine working on one of these. The first generation had some feeding issues that were related to design issues that were corrected in subsequent models.

Man that is NICE work! You do this for a living or just a hobby??

I had just woke up when I read it. Totally misread it.
Most of the mag releases Ive dealt with required you to slightly rotate part of it as you hold it in. Has kind of a locking lug, like on a tube magazine for a .22. There appears to be a screwdriver slot in yours that would turn the outer portion.

Man that is NICE work! You do this for a living or just a hobby??

No sir just for fun, when it becomes work I'll move on to something else.

My first gun project was about 35 years ago (I was 12) when we were snowed in for a week. I refinished my .22 LR Stevens single shot with a Birchwood Casey kit. I did the stock and cold blued the barrel. It was the first firearm my son and daughter shot. I was a small unit Armorer for the Army amongst several other "additional duties". I have done most of the work on my firearms with a few exceptions. With a good trigger and clean sights most guns are good to go. I can't stand a crappy trigger. It's like finger nails on a chalkboard to me.

Petro_58,

This would make a lovely signature line:
Nothing like turning someonelse's Cob Job into a Golden Nugget!

I had just woke up when I read it. Totally misread it.
Most of the mag releases Ive dealt with required you to slightly rotate part of it as you hold it in. Has kind of a locking lug, like on a tube magazine for a .22. There appears to be a screwdriver slot in yours that would turn the outer portion.

Yeah I thought was it and it looked to be like a 1911 magazine release. I moved it in back and forth hunting for the sweet spot where it would turn but no dice. It works fine and doesn't need to be removed. I'll ask someone who has one if they have removed theirs when I cross their path.

I looked at the breakdown on the Numrich site and it is screwed together. There are four parts to it.
There are a few tricks to loosen small delicate parts:

Soak with a penetrating oil.

Apply heat. In this case you don't want apply it directly. I have held the 1/4" bits for a screwdriver with pliers and heated them with a propane torch. Once hot, place the bit in the screwdriver and put it on the fastener. Hold it there for a few moments to allow the heat to transfer into the fastener. Then try to break it loose.

Hope this helps you out in the future.

I looked at the breakdown on the Numrich site and it is screwed together. There are four parts to it.
There are a few tricks to loosen small delicate parts:

Soak with a penetrating oil.

Apply heat. In this case you don't want apply it directly. I have held the 1/4" bits for a screwdriver with pliers and heated them with a propane torch. Once hot, place the bit in the screwdriver and put it on the fastener. Hold it there for a few moments to allow the heat to transfer into the fastener. Then try to break it loose.

Hope this helps you out in the future.

Thanks! That's going to come in handy sooner or later.

Back
Top Bottom