• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PCC shooters, what are you using?

All reasonable... But you just don't see them at the highest levels of competition often. Wonder why that is?
Most aren't aware of the huge parallax advantage since EOTech does not publish competitive data. Being a DOD contractor they tend to operate differently but if you look at which optics are awarded to the tip of the spear door kickers, there is a lot of the reason. If you look at local agencies, they are more often than not, divided. Patrol rifles usually get Aimpoint/MRO but SWAT wants EOTech. Notice the pattern.

And I do think a lot of people are turned off by the size/weight and the fact that the holographic laser requires much more power to run. Many that shoot comps also use it as a defense weapon and there is certainly something to be said for being able to leave your optic on for 5 years in that case instead of worrying about every ounce of speed and parallax mitigation. Plus a better three gun optic would be a LPVO because of the distances.

I have/had about every kind of optic and all of them have their strengths for different scenarios but if speed is the number one priority it will always be EOTech. (unless something proves faster)

If you want to check the big delta in parallax compared to a red dot, mount a EOTech behind or in front of a red dot on your rail and run one of the optics reticle to meet the other. Aim at a spot on a close wall and move your head back and forth. The difference will be clear. They exhibit less parallax across a window that is significantly larger, it's quite a feat. There is a technological advantage that a holographic sight has in this particular regard.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

All reasonable... But you just don't see them at the highest levels of competition often. Wonder why that is?
Everyone sent them back for a refund during the recall and bought Holosun/Aimpoint optics?

Short battery life (increased cost of ownership, higher chance of dying during a stage, have to worry about turning it on/off to save battery), cluttered reticle (I'd imagine most folks appreciate a simple dot for competition), relatively heavy (compared to compact red dots). I'm not sure that the parallax is a huge concern since a good cheekweld is going to be a priority. Just my 2c.

Everyone sent them back for a refund during the recall and bought Holosun/Aimpoint optics?

Short battery life (increased cost of ownership, higher chance of dying during a stage, have to worry about turning it on/off to save battery), cluttered reticle (I'd imagine most folks appreciate a simple dot for competition), relatively heavy (compared to compact red dots). I'm not sure that the parallax is a huge concern since a good cheekweld is going to be a priority. Just my 2c.

It's possible. Imagine that CRANE/SOCOM after exhaustive testing, the sight you sued for $26M over, now updated, tested better than everything else brought to the table. But most in the civilian world are really unaware of how extensive and comprehensive those tests are and what that award means. Our confirmation bias always leans toward the bad.

No they will never reach 50,000 hours of battery life. But they run between 1200-2500 hrs which is nearly 7 hrs a day, every day, for a year. Plenty for a raid, a rescue or a competition. Cheekweld is great when everything is perfect, but in competition and gun fights, speed matters above all else. The military has an endless supply of batteries.

I will completely disagree on the reticle. A circle and dot will always be faster to pick up by your eye than a single dot. It's also 1 MOA. So you get a more precise dot and one that's easier to pick up.

If people don't like EOTech for the battery life, size, weight, lawsuit, or because they had one fail, I completely understand. But it's the fastest CQB sight you can buy at the moment and there are factual, measurable reasons for that claim that really can't be argued.

61C59DDE-32D5-4E04-86F6-31500C08DAEE-660x440.jpeg
For a decent gun on a budget, check out the Extar EP-9. Sent from factory to your FFL. Side charger, super lightweight, glock mags, LRBHO, nitride barrel, and under $450! I have seen 2 of them that guys bought for fun/truck guns and their wives promptly took them for their own PDWS. They are not Noveske or DD type guns, but way better than a Palmetto or Keltec for the price.

It's possible. Imagine that CRANE/SOCOM after exhaustive testing, the sight you sued for $26M over, now updated, tested better than everything else brought to the table. But most in the civilian world are really unaware of how extensive and comprehensive those tests are and what that award means. Our confirmation bias always leans toward the bad.

No they will never reach 50,000 hours of battery life. But they run between 1200-2500 hrs which is nearly 7 hrs a day, every day, for a year. Plenty for a raid, a rescue or a competition. Cheekweld is great when everything is perfect, but in competition and gun fights, speed matters above all else. The military has an endless supply of batteries.

I will completely disagree on the reticle. A circle and dot will always be faster to pick up by your eye than a single dot. It's also 1 MOA. So you get a more precise dot and one that's easier to pick up.

If people don't like EOTech for the battery life, size, weight, lawsuit, or because they had one fail, I completely understand. But it's the fastest CQB sight you can buy at the moment and there are factual, measurable reasons for that claim that really can't be argued.

Again. All reasonable explanations... but I just don't think the shooting positions are awkward enough for parallax to really cause much issue at sub-30yd shooting. A crazy weak side lean is about the worst you'll get and that's usually a fairly close target. Hard to miss!

Honestly; I've never owned an eotech. I've shot guns with them on a handfull of times and they were nothing crazy impressive, the complaining by the owners for various issues (this was pre-POI shift complaints) and it just stuck with me!

I think lots of the new circle/dot reticle red dots get you some of the benefits with minimal drawback and most folks are going that way.

Maybe the new Vortex AMG holo sight can breathe some life back in to the product category

Freedom Ordinance fx9, $600 and takes Glock mags. I have the pistol version with sba brace and but in an agl-act trigger. Not sure if it meets competition specs but it's a great gun.

Again. All reasonable explanations... but I just don't think the shooting positions are awkward enough for parallax to really cause much issue at sub-30yd shooting. A crazy weak side lean is about the worst you'll get and that's usually a fairly close target. Hard to miss!

Honestly; I've never owned an eotech. I've shot guns with them on a handfull of times and they were nothing crazy impressive, the complaining by the owners for various issues (this was pre-POI shift complaints) and it just stuck with me!

I think lots of the new circle/dot reticle red dots get you some of the benefits with minimal drawback and most folks are going that way.

Maybe the new Vortex AMG holo sight can breathe some life back in to the product category
I'll send you a updated one to try for a while and if it's faster (it will be), I'll cut you a stupid deal on it and if not you can send it back to me.

I'll send you a updated one to try for a while and if it's faster (it will be), I'll cut you a stupid deal on it and if not you can send it back to me.

Well that's hard to say no to. Mail? Or
Meet in Cartersville again? :)

Back
Top Bottom