• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Persimmons for deer

Don’t eat the green ones Allsmiles Allsmiles

It's okay, I spray them with Krylon and give to my brother. He says they taste like kiwi fruit with a little aftertaste.

We find these seeds in a lot of different scat on the property; so I know there are more trees around. I just don't know how old a tree has to be to bear fruit.

They love the ripe ones. I gather them at the library near me, throw them out in our Gilmer spot, gone in a couple of days. I have found scat with the big seeds. Cant go wrong IMHO.

They love them, I have two trees at the very back of my yard, they come by and dine often when they ripen and fall....

I didn't realize they could pollinate from extended distances. So in theory, I could plant just a couple and trees far away could still pollinate them?

I didn't realize they could pollinate from extended distances. So in theory, I could plant just a couple and trees far away could still pollinate them?
Think of bees as the most likely pollinators...they will gather pollen on one tree and it will get deposited - brushed off - by another one. In theory, yes, distant tree pollen can find its way to your tree. Planting two or more near one another makes fruiting almost a lead pipe cinch...

We planted 100 persimmon trees, about the size of a #2 pencil, 15 years ago. We planted them in groups of three or four, to increase our chances of pollination. Even though we fertilized them each year, they never did much, unlike our wild trees. We also planted some super sawtooth oak trees at the same time, and they have done fantastic. Started as seedlings, they are now 20 feet tall and produce loads of the "hairy nuts", as we call them. They started producing at about eight years old, and typically start dropping in late August/early September, which is great for bowhunting. We always see deer standing under them with their mouths open.:D

Has anyone had any luck hunting around persimmon trees?
I've heard deer eat them, but don't have any on my property. To be honest I don't know if I've ever even seen persimmons in the woods before.

I want to plant some trees where I deer hunt for the deer and myself to enjoy. Anyone have any input/stories/advice?

Burgess has tress for $4.99 each in their catalog.

http://www.gatrees.org/reforestation/ordering-information/

Don’t eat the green ones Allsmiles Allsmiles

For that matter, don't eat the ripe ones either, even after the frost. It will be your first and your last time. They need to be cooked and sugared up to be palatable. I use to let my unknowing buddies try a bite without warning, but I'm getting kinder in my old age.

Back
Top Bottom