• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Persimmons for deer

I have a few, but haven’t had much luck getting them to fruit. At least one was bought from a nursery and had fruit on it when I bought it, so should be a female. Two more from a different source planted nearby have reached 12+ feet in 2 years, but still no fruit. All of them are located within 50 yards of each other. Not sure if that is close enough for pollination, but I figure it should be. All of them were planted about two years ago.
I read somewhere to prune them in the winter so they don’t get too tall and break/stress.

Also read you need to prune them for fruit the next year. Not sure if that is correct. Been thinking about trying it right now this winter.

Those are all in Gilmer County.

Have a bunch of them on a lease in Pickens. None of them seem to have fruit. Maybe one in 100 occasionally.

Don't know about pruning. The wild ones that fruit are never pruned, and are absolutely loaded with fruit.

Might be able to graft wild to your already growing rooted trees. Thats how peaches are done. Know any peach farmers?

persimmons are easily grafted. If you plant them, you can graft over all the males except one. There is a good article on the QDMA site.

We have a large female tree in our backyard and in a good year it is loaded. I don't know where the nearest male tree is. If the fruit stays on the tree into Nov. they will begin to dry up like raisins, get a real deep flavor.

I have one and the deer won't touch it. I get at least 2, 5 gallon buckets worth every year and they rot under the tree. I have even put them out where I know there are deer and the only thing that came to them was box turtles, rabbits and birds.

Back
Top Bottom