• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pic of 2020 Colt Python

I've played with them in stores and at NRA when they first came out. I certainly didn't have any complaints, but then again I'm not a conasuir when it comes to triggers.

I was looking forward to the King Cobra Target model becoming available, but honestly, I think they are cannibalizing that one's sales now with this announcement. I'm seeing that gun for high-900s, so a couple hundred more for a Python is something most people won't pass up.
I have the KING COBRA TARGET MODEL now.

That's an interesting argument. It could be that the originals do stall out because people who really want one would get a new one and not "pony" up for the real thing. It could be that the gun owners coming along behind my generation will not look twice at any revolver and Python prices will fall regardless. Talk on other boards indicated concern that the Colt brand is now simply a name - that they do very little work in-house anymore on the firearms they "make." I don't know about that but if it is true, it says to me the quality may be suspect. I saw on the Colt board that they were expecting the rollout of the new guns to start on January 2nd and there was mention of how they screwed up the rollout of the new Cobra. I didn't follow that so I don't know what did or didn't happen as someone believed it should have...There are plenty of snake names left to attach to a new large revolver. I wish they'd gone in that direction instead of offering, what I fear will be, a greatly inferior reincarnation that sours the gun owning world on a venerable weapon and provide another reason for original Python prices to fall...There was a beautiful Python up here on ODT just in the last few days. I wonder how many who might otherwise have been interested in it, deferred buying it or another one somewhere else until after these new ones hit the market? Who is asking themselves, "Have I waited too long to cash in on the great Python price run-up of the last 20 years?" The starting prices on the new ones I've seen vary from $1500 to $2799...I suspect the ones who are talking about these things most prominently today know little more about it than I do and I only have conjecture on my side. The people, gun dealers for example, who have inventory today all signed NDAs I'm certain. Nothing to do but wait until after the new year begins to have some of these questions answered...
Thanks for the information the Python is my last bucket gun. Also Cot will not work on Pythons and gave me to gunsmiths in Florida and Montana that specialize in Colt Pythons.

Any one who has shot a Colt long enough knows the worst part is that damned Elliason rear sight held in with that little roll pin. Sooner or later that pin is going to break, if it doesn't walk out first. That is one problem they had a chance to resolve, but it will live on in the 'New and Improved" Python. PFT!

It’s going to have to be comparable in price to S&W Performance Center revolvers or they won’t sell any. I’m a Colt fan and no revolver they’ve recently offered is worth buying. Just because it says Colt on a new revolver, it certainly won't move someone to over pay.
That's what I'm saying. I get why the old Pythons bring such a high price, but I do not understand why a new one would.

That's what I'm saying. I get why the old Pythons bring such a high price, but I do not understand why a new one would.

Exactly! Until we can get one in our hands to shoot, we won’t know quality of build or performance.

It would a bit, but not much though. When Smith came out with their Classic series, they didn't get a great reception, but the old guns still sell just fine. In fact they probably increased in price because no one liked the Classic versions.

My real hope is that they will be 80-90% of what the old guns were (no reason they shouldn't be) and drive the old guns back into the $1500 range. The current $2000-3000 range for any of them is kind of ridiculous for any ones that aren't rare or in mint condition.

So far I've heard two folks who were at the media rollout talking about it 'informally' on podcasts, and it sounds like it may be the real deal. Most importantly, the trigger is supposed to be right there with the originals.

Gun Talk also had a podcast on the release that had some interesting information (same info is in the link below in video form).

The podcasts mentioned that the new action they used wouldn't go out of time if you shoot 357s in it a lot, and the sights seem to have fixed the originals problems as well.

EDIT: Ken Hackathorn is saying something I've heard from 2 other reviews now... the new trigger is better than the originals. More linear, less stacking and just as smooth but more reliable design.

Hickok45 weighs in.

Not a review but he has good things to say about it, and he also says that the trigger on the new one is better than the original (he talks about it around 14:40 in the video).

Back
Top Bottom